Review My Food Site

thevictorchen

Since I like taking picture of the restaurant food I eat, I decided to start a website to upload those pictures.

http://www.dishshout.com

A few questions:
  1. How are the color themes (I'm more developer than designer)
  2. Is it obvious that the pictures are hyperlinked?
  3. How can I improve flow of the site (ie where visitors go after the intial hompage)
  4. Any other ideas for improvement

Thanks all!

d a v e

not blue for food ;) and the dropshadow is too strong (bit too black)
er the orange is too orange and is the yellow/light brown,BUT the neutral browns of tha navigation ar good and if you matched the with some small areas of fgresh minty green it could look good

some fo yuor photos on the frontpage need some photoshop work for levels and colour balance

red and yellow are popular colours for food, although on your page i wouldn't use them on large areas like the backgrounf, but fo the logo colour, links and other small highlights

and please opitmise your images (files should be around 10-20kb max)

EDIT: your images should be jpegs too, not pngs

Last edited:

Walter Warner

Personally I liked the orange color, I would just use the solid orange background instead of the grain texture. I also agree with the drop shadow of the logo and the optimization of the pictures. I would also write a little bit of what is the intention of the site is. When I first arrived I was not sure if the pictures were links to recipes, information on the restautants, or if they would take me to the restaurants homepage.

mydesenyo

the color is good for me, also the layout is clean... the only thing that you need to fix are the images optimized to load the site better.. and also putting more content is advised specially in the main page.. good luck!

fandangomg

A few things I would do to improve the current design:

1 - Change the background color from blue to a dark orange
2 - Add a slideshow to the header section. Suggestion: http://chocoslider.alandawi.com.ar/index_en.html (Free)
3. Add some styling to the links (they are currently underlined)
4. Increase the contrast on your photos
5. Optimize the photos (they take a while to load)
6. Add some text to the front page, so the visitor understands what they website is all about

I hope this helps.
Feel free to email me anytime.

Matthew3man

Could use a little padding here and there. The images aren't obviously hyperlinks to me, maybe introduce some clumsy borders to them. I would also suggest reviewing you link and header styles.

rgray80

Since I like taking picture of the restaurant food I eat, I decided to start a website to upload those pictures.

That actually sparked an idea (unless you already thought of it, lol)

Since you like to take pictures of the food you eat, you should make it so that other can be able to take a picture of their meal and upload it to your site.

You can even expand on that idea: users can upload their meal, post comments or reviews on it and even recommend the restruant they went to.

Your site is very interesting, and has good potential of taking off!