Reusing graphics/divs on a page - newbie

Ibuilder

Hi all,

I'm trying to put my first web site together and I thought I got it all figured out, but now I'm not so sure after all.

It's a very basic site of just a few pages. Each page has a common header and nav bar - what is the best way of having such a common element on a page?

I just realized, I had copied my header and nav divs on each page, which obviously is very clumsy - how is this supposed to be done?

Thanks!

Ibuilder

I think I need to clarify that a little,

The background images for the header and nav bar are referenced from the css file, so they are probably ok, but then there are other elements, like a logo, which is on top of the header bar - that is currently repeated on every page.

Ignis

Without server side scripting requires or JavaScript based elements you probably will need to copy and paste a lot of the same elements around. As far as I know anyway.

Ibuilder

Thanks for the reply,

I'm really just trying to build a simple web site - nothing special, let alone server side scripting :)

I think, I need to check out one of those css templates - many of them have the same "header / nav bar-pattern" that I'm looking for.

Ibuilder

Hi,

Well, I'm trying to get by with some free tools - Kompozer and just editing the css files by hand.

This is just a one time thing for me - setting up a simple website for my business, so I try to avoid spending too much money on this. Although, I would have saved much more money AND time by buying the design from someone in the first place :D

Anyhow, I'm going to look at those css-templates tonight, as I finally have some time to continue this!

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Server side scripting will be your best option. Essentially you want to create a "master page" that loads other content with in it. I work in and ASP environment and use PHP for freelance (because its free).

Creating a basic "master page" is really not that difficult, it just might sound intimidating at first. W3 schools has a great section on PHP, couldn't hurt to take a look?