remove verification email from PHP Register and Login Form

alvarez

I have a register and login page. At the moment you register which sends data to a mysql database and it then sends an email to your account and you have to click to verify it before you can login. However, Hotmail keep blocking these verification emails. I've spoken to hotmail and they can unblock it temporarily but after a day or two it just starts to block them again. Does anyone know how I can stop hotmail blocking the email as spam?
Thanks

conor

Where is the email being sent from? Is it a personal server? Or is it your computer?

I encountered similar problems when sending from my mail server before.

alvarez

It's from a clients server, hotmail told me that it's a symantec issue but only hotmail is blocking them as spam. How did you resolve the problem? I could try and remove the verification email all together but would rather not.

conor

Yeah that's tricky...

Are you stating where the email is from?

Often if you say that the email is from [email protected] but you are sending it from a domain called name.com then it will be marked as spam.

Are there a lot of links in the email?
Is it a shared server?
Is the server blacklisted?

If you are using PHP then it helps a hell of a lot to give as many details as possible in the from field to prove that you are not spam such as:

Code:
$from .= "From: $someemail\n";
$from .= "X-Sender: $someemail\n";
$from .= "X-Mailer: PHP\n";
$from .= "X-Priority: 3\n";
$from .= "Return-Path: $someemail\n";
$from .= "Reply-To: $siteemail\n";
mail($to,$subject,$message,$from);

Hope that helps.

alvarez

There's only one link in the email. It is a shared serever and I don't know if it's been blacklisted.

Thanks alot Conor I'll try adding those bits of code tomorrow.

jnjc

unfortunately there is no magic bullet to stop your mail being treated as spam, if there was then all the spammers would use it and it would defeat the purpose...

There are many factors that can cause a mail to be considered as spam, I read somewhere if the email contains red text then it's more likely to be considered spam also. It would be worth while having a cruise around google for some articles on the subject.

If possible have the body of the email as text as opposed to HTML, I have found that can help...

HTH,
JC

alvarez

Thanks for the help guys, I've been tring things out and Hotmail still gets blocked. If it was a lesser used email provider I wouldn't care but as it's Hotmail I think I just have to remove the verification process all together.

At the moment a 0 goes into the MYSQL table and when people clicked the verifiaction link it changed to a 1 and they could then get access. Now I need to change it so when people register the 0 is a 1 so they can instantly login and have no verification email sent.

Can anyone help? my PHP is essentially useless but I'm trying to pick up new bits here and there.

Attachments

• gallery01.php and activate.php.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 34