relative vs root links in dreamweaver

notarypublic

I'm working on a site that uses pages generated from a template I made in dreamweaver. Dreamweaver automatically stores this template in it's own folder (root folder > templates > mainTemplate) and I have it link to my CSS files.

For some reason, the template stores the file location of my CSS files as their location on the local machine - "file:///C|/Users/jlonganecker/Documents/New CVCN Website/new CVCNWebsite just html/CVCN.css"

This prevents the website from finding the CSS document once it's uploaded to the server.

Is this a common error?

notarypublic

Update: The template stopped updating the pages that were using it, so after changing the file location to be relative to the site folder, and manually updating all the pages, it works like it's supposed to. I'm unsure why the template stopped updating most of the pages, though?

Mug

If you don't set up your site then Dreamweaver will find the path which will be relative to the storage. To get around this you need to set up the following:

http://www.learnwebdesignonline.com/tutorials/dreamweaversite.htm
(ignore from 3 onwards)

Once you have done this all the image/css/script paths should be relative to the root (site) folder. I would suggest that you use absolute paths if keywords feature in your url. It may help with the SERPS.