Regisitering site with google properly...HELP

Ross

Hi there,
I've only just done a basic introduction to webpage design so i can do few basic sites for myself.
During course i learnt how to tag site with META tags and register FREE with google.
On example site i did as coursework this worked fine, now google not registering for the life of me.
Site is apexbadges.com

If i just put apexbadges in google it comes up
But
If i put some of my keywords tags it doesn't, I'm not for one minuite expexing to be at top of searchs if someone types in badges but surely if someone types in my whole name followed by few key words only i would have i should come up??

What am i doing wrong? Can anyone help.
Like i said site is basic but serves its purpose for minute so don't judge me on that, when i grow i'll be looking at getting a professional to design.

Cheers
Ross

dismaldonkey

I believe that Google now looks less at metatags than it previously did (some even say it doesn't look at the meta tags at all now) and concentrates far more on the actual content of the site. Get some decent keyword rich content for your homepage (lose the frame too!). You have very little content rich text on your site, google likes to know what the site is about clearly and quickly.

Also, how long have you left it before searching for your site? Google can take weeks before it indexes a site.

RickPlmr

Focus on content and copy competitors

The previous post about focusing on content is true. You should also look at the top few pages that Google currently lists for the keywords you are using... view souce and look at their tags and their page content.

Google is actually pretty fast at picking up your changes - I usually get a 3 or 4 day turn around. One page I have is listed on the first page of a google search for 'send mail merge'. Try it and you'll see a page titled 'HOW TO: Send a mail merge product announcement' listed about midway down the first page. I got there by focusing on content and including the same content headlines in my metatags as I had in my article. And frankly, by looking at the meta tags of the other pages listed for those keywords, which were doing the same thing :)

I also try to make changes to the article every now and then to ensure that google's bots recognize the new content and don't consider it a dead or unused link. I haven't done that for a couple months though, and yet the link still remains on the first search result page. My guess is that it's because the link gets plenty of visits from other people who are searching for similar content on google, and so google continues to consider it valuable content.

dismaldonkey

I also try to make changes to the article every now and then to ensure that google's bots recognize the new content and don't consider it a dead or unused link.

Very, very good point. It is important to change the content regulary to show Google that the site is active. It doesn't need to be much, just change around the text a little. If the content remains the same for a period of time Google may consider it a dead site (inactive) and give the site less importance.

Ross

Cheers for the tips will have to change it when got more time as if taking out frames i'm basically starting again.

I've started doing some football travel inside that site that is doing ok, I'm in talks with companies to start running planes.... So that side of things is gonna need its own website... and far more professional than i can dream of doing myself.

Is anyone that techy to build websites like a travel agents but will be much smaller as only having few football trips to start with but need the function for people to be able to custom their package.

If anyone can do this and can give me quotes/show me examples please drop me a line: [email protected] Will be a few months before i put all this together just gonna get quotes run as far as i can on my site then change.

Thanks