Recommend a U.S. based host?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Waste of time, client and customer "testimonials" are mostly written by company 'shills' and affiliates, not impartial genuine users.

How will you know who they are and how and where to contact them???
While I agree a lot of sites may have fake testimonials. You need to look at some of the bigger Web hosts who will actually list some of their big clients, for example https://www.stormondemand.com/servers/clients.html
You can check to make sure they are really hosted with them and see the speed with which their site loads. I would not go so far as to actually contacting them though.
But I definitely take notice of what big sites a company hosts when making my decision.

chrishirst

Staff member
The first 'testimonial' website when I checked the IPs is:

Hosted on an IP (johnhodgman.com) assigned to TUMBLR and delivered from and IP (areasofmyexpertise.com) that is a Godaddy CDN

So much for that one then.

Present

Waste of time, client and customer "testimonials" are mostly written by company 'shills' and affiliates, not impartial genuine users.
Well, I know WHT is a forum with true members who share their experiences dealing with this or that web host. It really helps.
Moreover, Webhostingstuff is a true customer hosting review web site.

chrishirst

Staff member
How do you know they are impartial or even real customers?

In reality, the average customer will only make comments on a service that is poor or not what they expected, 'glowing' reports are mostly made by people with something to gain, that said, there are two "well known" websites that you truly can be sure that the 'feedback' is genuine, which are Amazon and eBay, because to leave 'reviews' the people involved have to either purchased the item from the site or sold it on the site. Just look around at any "webmaster" discussion forum, and you will find many complaints about various hosting providers and very few threads that start off saying how great that [a hosting provider] is.

"Hosting review" websites have no such controls, anyone can sign up for an account, they have no need to prove they are actually 'customers' of the "hosting company", or users of the service they are 'reviewing' and they can post wonderful 'reviews' of something they have never used. By all means use the information, just do not trust it implicitly. The 'reviews' that tell you most about a company are the bad ones, and it is how they have handled the complaint that shows how good their customer support and services are.

Dewlance

I never recommended to use any domain registrar for hosting purpose. Its better to chose small company instead of domain register else you will regret.

I really don't know why peoples even discuss about godaddy for hosting. Check their history.

Code:
The vulnerability was reported to GoDaddy on Saturday by [I]Dylan Saccomanni,[/I] a web application security researcher and penetration testing consultant in New York. Without any time delay, the company patched the bug in less than 24 hours after the blog was published.
Source: thehackernews.com/2015/01/godaddy-vulnerability-allows-domain_20.html

Also they have very good similar history. ;P