really need your help

doyle369

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I am fairly new to web design. I started about 3 months ago. I was using Dreamweaver and I was just inserting images...etc etc....I wasn't coding

Alot of people have said not to do what I was doing, and to code a website.

I have learnt abit of code from tutorials (w3 schools). But now I want to make my own website. But I dont no really where to start. Becasue all the tutorials just teach you code, but don't help you to actually make a website by code. Becase I am finding it really hard where to put alll the codes and remembering them.

In Dreamweaver I have a HTML document and A CSS document up. But the problems I have is what you add to each document...I dont no if im adding stuff to the right document, and say you have added something to the CSS document, you then hav to back it up to the html document?

I hope this makes sense, and I hope you can help

regards

Will

pingeyeg

In all honesty, I would never refer anyone who is wanting to code a website to use Dreamweaver. It is way too robust and bulky. The coding program I always tell coders, who are interested, to get BBEdit. This program is really light weight and only gives you what you need, nothing else. It will not bog your processor speed down either. Once you have learned a great deal about HTML and CSS you should be good to go on designing a website. I have been doing it for 8 years and am finally getting to learn 3/4 or the code, but everday a new language is born. That's one of the reasons I like doing it. If you ever decide to just get a web designer, check out our website at http://www.goodboyweb.com.

Kind Regards,

Brannon
http://www.goodboyweb.com

wetgravy

ping is right, go low tech first. As for designing a website ... it's always best to start with a thumbnail drawing or 5 with pencil to paper. This gives you a huge idea on how you want to lay out your pages. As there are around five bajillion ways to design a site, i would suggest going to your local bookstore and seeing if there are any website design books (not html programming books ... there is a difference) This will help you a little more since they will talk about things to do and not to do when making a website.

starteasy

I'm a fan of doing less work and still creating good sites. Although I am still learning myself, I use Dreamweaver and a CSS making programme. I also have a Table to CSS converter, because I dont see why I should have to hand code all css div tags. I also dont see why I should have to write the font names and stuff, so I got this nifty prog for free that you just select your text settings and it exports them to css for you to copy and paste.

I am also looking at some dreamweaver extension software that codes php script for logins and MySQL access, as well as CSS menu making and a few other cool things. Again, why should I have to hand do everything when I can use these dodgy programmes, and then go through and just tidy up their mess a bit?

starteasy

I find Dreamweaver is good for creating the foundation code. I then go through notepad and fix up the rest myself.