Ranking a domain that has a 301

TheWebTaylor

I have a client that is doing a radio campaign that will contain a domain (lets say domain-x.com) that redirects to another domain by 301 (domain-y.com).

But they want domain-x.com to rank if someone searches on Google for Domain X

Is it possible to post backlinks with the keyword Domain X and have it rank in Google?

Thanks in advance

TheWebTaylor

The domain ranks in Google if you search for the actual domain. Surly the same would apply if I targeted the required keywords?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
googles number 1 pet hate is cloaking, which that there is.
I cannot see how you could build an seo campaign around something that google penalises sites for. seriously flawed thinking.

chrishirst

Staff member
The domain ranks in Google if you search for the actual domain. Surly the same would apply if I targeted the required keywords?
Totally wrong!

I have a client that is doing a radio campaign that will contain a domain (lets say domain-x.com) that redirects to another domain by 301 (domain-y.com).

But they want domain-x.com to rank if someone searches on Google for Domain X

Is it possible to post backlinks with the keyword Domain X and have it rank in Google?

Thanks in advance
No you cannot. Once a permanent redirect (301) is in place the redirected URL(s) will effectively CEASE TO EXIST

That's why it is called a PERMANENT redirection.

TheWebTaylor

OK, I now understand that I cannot target keywords for a redirected domain.

But you cannot say I am wrong about the redirected domain ranking if you search the actual domain name in Google. I have several cases of this happening.

chrishirst

Staff member
Yeah, people has been showing me that since 1998, I have YET to seen one example that actually demonstrates the the "domain name" is THE reason for the "ranking"