Quitting your day job (or night job)

StephanieCordray

I belong to a few writers' groups. This subject came up in one of those groups and I remembered some advice Ian had imparted here in another thread.

This particular writing group is very active against bad publishers. There is a 238 page thread against one particular publisher who stands head and shoulders below even the worst of the other publishers. One post on that thread was a link to another message board where one published author, deciding that now that he is a writer, quit his job to concentrate on writing. His chances of making a living as a writer based on being published with this particular publisher are nil. Not practically nil, but absolute nil.

If there is one offline career one would equate with starting up a web business, writing would be one of the closest matches. For every writer who makes a decent living at it, there are at least 100 who don't. Note the word decent rather than lucrative. When working on any career you still have to eat and pay bills.

It is not wise to give up a paying job for the future millions you hope to make. You may hate the job you are getting paid to do but it pays the bills while you work on a solid foundation for your future career. This is not saying it can't be done, but dreams of overnight success, like the writer published with the bad company dreams of being an instant bestseller, are just not realistic... especially in these economic times.

I worked in a pizzeria while getting both my degrees. I hated it but it paid my bills, including tuition. The irony is, I don't work in the fields I studied either, lol. Had I needed to, I could have and would have stuck it out for however long it took me to realize my true career goals.

Start with a realistic plan of what you want to do with your business, plan for slow growth rather than instant success. Success sometimes takes years to realize. Other times one might get lucky and have instant success but to expect it is to let both yourself and your customers down. If you go bankrupt because your plan is unrealistic, your customers who depended on you are left high and dry as well.

I just thought that little piece of advice buried in the middle of another thread deserved a thread of its own. Thanks, ian.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i agree 110% with you, stephanie. i too hold a day job, which is far from anything i ever dreamed of doing, but as you said, it pays the bills. however, i have been in the position to where i wasn't making enough income from my online biz due to a lack of time, yet i couldn't quite my day, which would have given me the needed time, because of a lack of funds. kind of seemd like one of the seven circles of hell at the time. :)

StephanieCordray

Yes it does, zkiller. It really does. Between taking care of kids, working on the business, and all the other demands on my time it seems like a neverending circle. But if you pace yourself and adapt to the demands in a realistic way, it can still be done... maybe not overnight or even this year but eventually.

I suppose it helps also to have a partner, which I have. We each have our main tasks which the other supports as needed. It's not 100% him for his tasks, nor 100% me for mine, more like 80/20 respectively.

However, making a decision to have a partner much less choose one is a very sticky topic on its own, perhaps a topic for another thread, lol.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well I for one would never quit my day job unless I was making a really really lot of money then I would consider it.
For starters if I was making what I made in my day job and I am not, I would still not quit my day job because the internet is very fickle, as I have discovered time and time again.
You can be making money one month, and then something doesnt work when the search engines crawl, or your ranking drops, and you can go from making good money to making next to nothing. That has happened many times including very recently.
So for me, I have a personal strategy, if I am making xxxx amount a month for 6 consecuive months, then I will take a year off work without pay to concentrate on my websites. If I make xxxxx a month for six consecutive months, then and only then would I consider quitting my full time job to concentrate on the internet.
But no way would I quit my day job just like that.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
and it is a difficult decision to make when you have a house mortgage...
I would imagine it would be even harder if you had a family to support.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
StephanieCordray said:
Yes it does, zkiller. It really does. Between taking care of kids, working on the business, and all the other demands on my time it seems like a neverending circle. But if you pace yourself and adapt to the demands in a realistic way, it can still be done... maybe not overnight or even this year but eventually.
yeah, but that was a few years back and i quite both pretty simulatniously and left the country. lol

haven't had anything worth while on the net since then. to be honest, i don't dream of making a living off the internet anymore. although it would be nice, i would be very much content working in the IT department of some company as an netwrok engineer. i love and enjoy that kind of work. it can be stressfull at times, but none the less, i like it. it's got a good mixture of time spent in front of the computer and actually doing something physical every now and then. :)

StephanieCordray

ian said:
and it is a difficult decision to make when you have a house mortgage...
I would imagine it would be even harder if you had a family to support.

yes, it would be but there are perks... with the income from the business we were able to afford a much nicer house than we would have with only our income, :). We just bought our house in October 2004. We were able to save up the down payment faster and a better down payment for a better house. But to be totally dependent on it right now is not a good idea.

I did quit my job just after we started ours. I wasn't making much and I hurt my back badly, so we decided instead of going back to work I'd stay home. Plus the hours sucked, lol. Right about the same time I started getting a monthly income to which I was intitled(sp?) so it all worked out for the best here. However James still works his regular job. One day, tho... *grin*

StephanieCordray

zkiller said:
yeah, but that was a few years back and i quite both pretty simulatniously and left the country. lol

i would be very much content working in the IT department of some company as an netwrok engineer. i love and enjoy that kind of work. it can be stressfull at times, but none the less, i like it. it's got a good mixture of time spent in front of the computer and actually doing something physical every now and then. :)

Anything is stressful at times, even if you love it as much as it sounds like you like being a network engineer. Hang in there... eventually IT will be hiring big again... don't know when but eventually... outsourcing is killing the field now but sooner or later, those big companies will figure out that the very people they are outsourcing to are very likely the culprits behind the phishing attempts against them... especially the banking industry....

No, I don't have any hard evidence to base that on, it's just a theory but when you get an attempt in your email and you trace it back to a .ru adress and you find your bank outsources to companies in Russia... it's time to change banks.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
We just bought our house in October 2004. We were able to save up the down payment faster and a better down payment for a better house.
Congratulations Stephanie :)
I think buying a house is a very important thing to do. And it must definitely help to have a regular income coming in. I think having to rely solely on the internet as your sole source of income could actually be very stressful, especially when things go wrong...

StephanieCordray

I like it. It's way too big for us, really, but with the grandkids being here all the time it helps a lot because they have their own playroom, we have an office now that is well separated from that playroom, lol.

You're right that relyng solely on the internet for your source of income would be stressful. Amazon did it... not overnight, lol, but it did happen... One day with commitment to what we are doing, we can all do the same. But until it does, it's better to have other income. Like you, I believe I'd want to see $xxxx amount for 6-12 months consecutively before I'd feel comfortable. I'm a cautious person, perhaps too cautious sometimes.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
congrats on purchasing a house stephanie! :) you should post some pics of it in the general chat area, if you get a chance. i am sure all would like to see your new estate. i know i would.

a friend of mine from rio rancho is currently in the process of building a house. i find it quite exciting. i recently had the opportunity to buy a house also, but am not sure whether i even want to stay in this country, so i declined the offer. it sure would be nice to have a house of mine own though!

anyways, to get back on topic, it's definely good advice to be cautious. but sometimes, it's good to take risks too. of course, you need to carefully think about which risks to take, or you could easily lose it all. but, remember that old saying? no pain no gain! :) (oh btw, i'm a scropions fan! :p)

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol, i just noticed that this is the general chat section also. lol

just out of curiousity, stephanie, you wouldn't happen to offer any windows based hosting. maybe i just missed it on your web site, but i think all you have listed their are 'nix based hosting solutions.

StephanieCordray

I'll get some up this spring after we do some cleanup... it has rained so much since we moved in that we haven't had a chance to do anything outside... The previous owners kind of let the yard go. The front doesn't look too bad but the back looks pretty rough with broken branches, a couple of years worth of leaves on the ground, which naturally killed the grass. The weather here has been crazy for the last month. We got an ice storm just before Christmas. Once the thaw set in it kept warming up until the temp is almost springlike but it is raining almost every day.

All we offer right now is nix and I can't think of anybody I'd recommend. I'll ask around, tho. Maybe one of our developer friends knows a good one.