Quick Answer needed!! MS word to HTML

anna

Is it bad (YES) to use MS word to create HTML pages?

Can anyone give me any reasons, because the one's I'm giving the superiors are not understanding!!

Thank you!!

bcee

Last time I checked they add a bunch of markup that is not needed. I think if it checks out on multiple browsers then it might be a quick solution.

I wouldn't do it myself since I doubt they use valid XHTML/CSS but I do bet they use tables.

anna

Thank you! I knew there were some "real" reasons, I just couldn't find them online??

Word is for... you know, word.

Todd J

What You Lose When You Use a WordProcessor to Create/Maintain a Website

Hi Anna, this is a good little article on using word to create a website:

http://www.thesitewizard.com/faqs/create-website-with-microsoft-word-office.shtml

What You Lose When You Use a WordProcessor to Create/Maintain a Website

So that you don't have an unrealistic expectation of what you can accomplish using Word for your website, let me mention some of the things you will lose out. Note that this doesn't mean that you can't use Word. You just won't be able to use those facilities.

You will lose the ability to embed code supplied by other websites into your web page. Some sites, including thesitewizard.com, provide special facilities which you can add to your website to extend it in some way. Such facilities are often provided in the form of code known as either HTML code, CSS code, JavaScript or some other thing. For example, there are numerous free web statistics services that you can use so that you can find out how many visitors are using your website and so on. Such services typically require you to insert some type of code into your web page. It doesn't seem to be possible to insert such code using Word.

Consequently, you will also lose the ability to create interactive features such as a putting a feedback / contact form on your site, inserting navigation menu buttons that work like what you see in the left hand column of thesitewizard.com, and so on.

You will not be able to easily publish your document to your website from within your wordprocessor. While Office 2007 appears to have some ability to integrate with some blog providers, it doesn't seem to have an integrated facility to publish ordinary web pages via FTP. For those wondering what FTP is, in layman's language, it's basically the method used to transfer web pages from your computer to the Internet. But don't worry. It's still possible to publish your document. You'll just have to use a separate program, called an FTP client, to do it.

Word also does not provide an easy way for you to update and change the design of all the pages on your website should you decide to change it in the future. If you have many pages on your website, and you decide that you want to change the design, you will have to manually change them on every page yourself.

To be fair though, only commercial web editors like Dreamweaver have this facility. At the time I write this, the free KompoZer web editor does not do this either. But it's a handy feature, especially if you have many pages on your site.