Questions you ask the client regarding what they want on their website?

I'm researching the web design process at the minute to help with planning websites before actually doing anything design/develop related.

The first part of the process is getting to know the client, their business and asking questions specifically about there business and other general things that you need to know and get out of the way before anything else. Like target audience, purpose of the website, who is the main decision maker, budget, deadline and so on.

After that It's on to getting an idea of what the client actually wants the the website to look like. I'm looking for some advice on what to ask regarding this phase of the process.

A few things I can think off are do you need a logo, what color scheme do you like, have you any websites you like the look off, do you want navigation on the left or the top, is a footer needed and so on.

I'm sure there is loads of other questions I need to ask in order for me to start prototyping and drawing sketches to get a look and feel. Then what I will be doing is prototyping in the browser so the client can actually use the interface and see how it works in real time. Of course I'll have a mock-up and maybe a mood board for colors and typography and anything else needed.

I hope you get were I'm coming from, I'm trying to get a strong grasp of the process so I can practice it on my Portfolio website. But first must come the research on how to actually practice it and embed it into my workflow so I can be successful in becoming a web designer/developer.

Thanks in advance.
Aaron.

chrishirst

Staff member
Like target audience, purpose of the website, who is the main decision maker, budget, deadline and so on.
And the answers will be; In order

Errm dunno? You're the designer, you tell me.

Because every body has one.

Probably the MDs12 year old nephew who's good at art in school.

As cheap as possible, usually about half of what it is worth.

Yesterday!

After that It's on to getting an idea of what the client actually wants the the website to look like.
Completely different to what you designed when they first explained it and agreed on.

A few things I can think off are do you need a logo, what color scheme do you like, have you any websites you like the look off, do you want navigation on the left or the top, is a footer needed and so on.
"Do you want this job or not"? "You're the designer just design me something"!

I'm sure there is loads of other questions I need to ask in order for me to start prototyping and drawing sketches to get a look and feel. Then what I will be doing is prototyping in the browser so the client can actually use the interface and see how it works in real time. Of course I'll have a mock-up and maybe a mood board for colors and typography and anything else needed.
You could do that, but book a three month cruise that you can go on while you wait for them to reply.

I hope you get were I'm coming from, I'm trying to get a strong grasp of the process so I can practice it on my Portfolio website. But first must come the research on how to actually practice it and embed it into my workflow so I can be successful in becoming a web designer/developer.
While ever you think that clients know what they want and are prepared to give you the information as soon as you need it you will be frustrated and p**sed off with the cheap-skate idiots you have to deal with, definitely, successful? Probably not.

CaldwellYSR

And the answers will be; In order

Errm dunno? You're the designer, you tell me.

Because every body has one.

Probably the MDs12 year old nephew who's good at art in school.

As cheap as possible, usually about half of what it is worth.

Yesterday!

Completely different to what you designed when they first explained it and agreed on.

"Do you want this job or not"? "You're the designer just design me something"!

You could do that, but book a three month cruise that you can go on while you wait for them to reply.

While ever you think that clients know what they want and are prepared to give you the information as soon as you need it you will be frustrated and p**sed off with the cheap-skate idiots you have to deal with, definitely, successful? Probably not.

Unfortunately this is a pretty accurate description especially if it's an online client. If this is someone you talk to in person you can get much better responses but never ask them their budget. Be assertive to your price and if they say they can't do that then they can't do it... Maybe offer them discounts if you really want that specific client but don't be afraid to walk away. Sometimes it's even good to walk away and give them time to change their minds.

chrishirst

Staff member
I assure you, there is no "can happen" about it!

It will happen.

The problem for professional designers and developers is that professional clients are few and far between.