questions on using html5 widget in dreamweaver cs5

danbnpp

Hello all

I was wondering if someone can help answer a few questions on the html5 video player in dwcs5. So I need to have videos on my site http://www.nimbusplanetproductions.com this is for a local band and I am using you tube for some videos but the full shows are only on the site. The problem is I can't find anything that will allow full screen mode like youtube has. So I was looking at the html5 video player widget in dream weaver cs5 and was wondering if it had this funtion? Also what formats do I need to play the files? I want it to read an avi file from a folder on my site, can this do it?

I'm trying to get this set up as I want it and my eventual goal is to have the site host watchable videos and allow fans upload their stuff and see it after they are done. But first things first and that is getting them to play with screen size control. Can some one help me?

Roddy

Not being a DW user I had a look at the widget before posting here and it appears that it uses Kaltura's player. Those like myself who like to stay away from all things Adobe can still download and use the widget if you really want to.

Its just the same idea as all the other "solutions" that are posted all over the place by every jackass that has an opinion about anything. Use three video formats to cover HTML5 playback in the browsers that support it and provide flash fallback for those that don't.

If you want to know about supported formats, this source is as good as any.

I wonder if any of the experts who propose this solution actually have to add videos to websites in any quantity? First you have to create three versions - MP4, OGG and WebM - and then you have to have three different file sizes for full screen, "normal" and mobile devices.
Then, of course, you throw in the HTML5 shiv in the hope that something might work in IE.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you are going to be spending a lot of time converting videos. Even if you find this exciting, try persuading your client to pay for it!

As long as you include "controls", all the HTML5 players support fullscreen as do most of the flash fallback solutions. But the question remains - is your video quality good enough to be viewed at full screen on large monitors?

My "solution" is to use MP4 with flash fallback and here's why...

OGG is only required for old versions of Firefox.

If you include WebM, Chrome appears to choose it over MP4 and, in my case, I can't seem to get WebM to play nice in that browser.

So, in theory, my MP4 will play in most situations and fallback to flash in Firefox and older versions of IE.

I still live in hope that the rumors are true and Firefox will adopt MP4.

Since I design mostly responsive sites, I set preload to "none, use a splash image and never include autoplay.

Making HTML5 video responsive is a breeze but it still leaves the problem of video file size. My latest "solution" is to use three different file sizes and media queries.