Questions about freelancing.

eturpin

Hello, I transferred to a new college after obtaining a associates in computer information systems, and am having trouble finding a part-time job since all the classes at my current college are during the day. So, I am thinking about trying some freelance web designing/development to pay for some of my personal expenses. I really don't want to go back to working at a fast-food restaurant :) So, before I go buying a business license, hosting account, cell phone, business cards, newspaper ads, software etc... I'm hoping some of the more experienced of you guys could answer a few questions.

1) What are my chances of actually finding clients? This is probably my biggest worry since I live in rural Ohio, and the local economy, which is heavily dependent on manufacturing, isn't doing very well right now. And, I don't have a portfolio of sites to show off.

2) Anybody got some tips on how to find clients?

3) Has anyone had any experiences with those freelancer sites where people bid on projects? Are they any good?

I've scoped out what would be my local competition and found two competitors in my local area. One is a freelancer that is very good at graphics design, but doesn't do any development. The other is a small IT business that does web development, but their sites have that 1999 look, lol.

Now about myself:
I've taken two web design classes at my last college, but, they weren't very good (just taught you how to use dreamweaver, and copy php and javascript out of a book). On my own, I've been messing around with coding html, css, PHP, and JavaScript by hand, which I prefer. I've also been playing around with Drupal (developing modules and theming), and working with jQuery. I'm also very familiar with SQL, relational-database design, and database application development (with Visual Basic). I'm ok at graphics design with photoshop or gimp.

So, basically I can throw together some quick web sites with dreamweaver and some javascript/jquery effects. Or can make some smaller scale web apps with Drupal or pure PHP. I'm just not sure what the market is like out there?

suz

What are my chances of actually finding clients? This is probably my biggest worry since I live in rural Ohio, and the local economy, which is heavily dependent on manufacturing, isn't doing very well right now. And, I don't have a portfolio of sites to show off.

Welcome to the forum Eturpin.
Your portfolio doesn't have to start out with sites from paying clients. Just make a few examples of what you can do. You future clients will be equally impressed whether someone paid for those designs or not.

Are you definitely only targeting locals as possible clients?

You can't be sure of whether you will get clients or not until you actually have a go. You don't have much to loose though, the web design business is one of the least expensive businesses to start.

irving

I wish i know how to make a web site. There are lot of opportunities out there when it comes to Web making and design. You are very lucky that you have the skills to make one. Some people don't, and I am one of those people. Perhaps i wasn't paying my attention to my IT instructor before.

Hendry_Budiman

Friend, you must want try to search at forums which offer job opportunities.
Or you can search with keyword "Freelance Job", or you can use Jobdb or jobstreet for make you easier than you manually.
Or you can ask to your friend where you can get freelance.
Good Luck Friend...

Last edited:

grivin

Freelancing isn't that bad. Especially if the employers will pay you for work. It's worth a try though. Who knows one might get lucky here.

igmir

You know I'm a freelance myself. Some things aren't easy when it comes to freelancing. You have to work hard and compete with other people out there who are also vying for the job.

merkleman

freelancing is never easy, as there are always a lot of people out there after the same job, but once you have a good set of contacts the jobs often come to you.
if your stuck to find work though try http://www.crowdspring.com/ which always has new jobs, and competing for the jobs is also a very quick way to build up your portfolio.

in addition, check out http://freelanceadvisor.co.uk for advice etc...

bailey.rein

You can find lots of ways on how to earn online just like "freelancing jobs"... you can find it out there...many to choose from...