Question

chriz01

Simple question really.. how big in size does the average layout have to be?

Example: 800x800 pixels

Im not really sure what size the average layout is..I design layouts in photoshop usually using 800x800 px but is this wrong?

Thanks

stuluk28

I know exactly what you mean, I'm wondering the same thing too. Everyone seems to agree that the smallest size you should design for is 800 x 600 px. I still get told that your site should still fit into this, even though every-single person I know runs a computer with 1024 x 768 px or higher?

However, if the screen resolution is 800 x 600, you need to take into consideration the browser window and taskbar? this leaves you with an even smaller size?

The settings in dreamweaver say that, for a 800 x 600 resolution the site should be 760 x 420? so I guess thats your answer?

Obviously i might be wrong, and only an 'expert' will know the 'real truth'?

chriz01

stuluk28 said:
I know exactly what you mean, I'm wondering the same thing too. Everyone seems to agree that the smallest size you should design for is 800 x 600 px. I still get told that your site should still fit into this, even though every-single person I know runs a computer with 1024 x 768 px or higher?

However, if the screen resolution is 800 x 600, you need to take into consideration the browser window and taskbar? this leaves you with an even smaller size?

The settings in dreamweaver say that, for a 800 x 600 resolution the site should be 760 x 420? so I guess thats your answer?

Obviously i might be wrong, and only an 'expert' will know the 'real truth'?

Thanks for the reply. I usually make mine around 800x800px but I was just checking if this was right or not. Lets see if any 'expert' comes along and replies :)

ISDProductions

It really depends...I personally don't ever design with a width of more than 750px...if you want to be a purist, don't go over 640 x 480...even though many people will say this is no longer true, when I look at my webstats, each month there is always a few people with that resolution and I wonder if they missed any info by not scrolling left or If I lost them due to the fact that they have to scroll left to view my sites. If you want to get tricky, do a google search for CSS Liquid Layouts... then you can make this question disappear altogether. if you stick with 760 x 420 you should be safe if you want the page to fit without any scrolling whatsoever, but even then you run the chance that their browser is not maximized. I usually run at a resoution of 1280 x 1024, but I will usually set a custom size for my browser so that it does not take up the whole screen and I can click on other apps, that I have running behind the browser, so there is really no way of making your page fit on everyones screen unless the width of your site is set dynamically.

Last edited:

Arkette

Almost everyone is now using 800x600 or higher resolution displays, so your layout width should be 780px max if you want to avoid content spill (the 20px underrun allows for the chrome and vertical scrollbar) The height of a page can be whatever best suits the amount of content to be displayed (most people dont mind scrolling down because its a natural way to read) but you would do well to consider the visual attributes of your layout when landing on a page at different display resolutions. I usualy use an expanding zone layout technique whereby all the important visual elements balance in a 780x520 zone and additional or supplimetary elements are aded to maintain balance and symetry when the zone expands to 780x700 and so on.