Question to the experienced...

Knightmare

This may not be the place to ask these type of questions and if it is not then I sincerely apologize.

I was hoping I might be able to poll my more experienced peers on setting up my own website.

I am versed enough in X/HTML, PHP, Java, CSS, etc to create my own web site and have started researching SEO to aide myself in getting the site known but I am clueless as to where to even start once I have all of the code done?

What I envision currently for my website(s) is an Web Comic that I will update weekly. In addition to the page that holds the comic itself I want to have separate pages (sub-domains I guess) for a Blog related to the content of the comics, a Forum for viewers to discuss comics in general, and another page where I would like viewers to be able to submit their original comics to me that I can pick at random to display on another page to showcase other artist's work.

Aside from a few quarks I do not think I am going to have a problem coding or designing the site, but once I have everything together what do I do with it? Do I use sub-domains? If I buy a hosting package from my current registrar is it pretty dummy proof?

I currently have 2 domain names registered and have not set up a web hosting package at this time. I've also been perusing http://www.djcoffman.com/how-to-host-your-own-webcomic/ for information specific to what I want to do but would like to get advise from those more experienced than I.

Thanks in advance.

Absolution

I don't think its a good idea to buy a hosting package from a registrar, its normally overpriced and since they have to diver help and support to domain name registration as well, often support for web hosting is lacking. The web host I currently use has had some bad ratings in the past, however from what people have told me about their registrar hosts, my host seems so much greater.

Oh and only use subdomains if you really have to. Having more unique content on one domain dramatically increases its search engine page rank.

Also for web hosting, mostly you just need to be familiar with FTP (which might be tricky at first but not as hard as learning a programming or formatting language).

che09

You should think carefully before doing any actions. Given that there are no 'perfect' host,you should weigh what will satisfy your needs.

FTP is indeed tricky but you'll definitely have to familiarized yourself with it!