Question About Web Safe Colors

MartyBoi

I am new to Web Design and have many questions. But to be simple and not seem like a spammer, I'll ask just one.

When one is thinking about what color scheme to use for a Background, are colors the limit without any worry, or are there some conditions when picking a color? I mean I see Web Safe colors, is that standard when deciding a color to use for Web Design?

I have looked at Adobe kuler and there seems to be some nice combinations, but are they even safe to use?

Thank you

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
16.7million colours give or take are now "websafe". websafe colours are a relic of the good ol' days...

chrishirst

Staff member
Yes, but it has been almost TWENTY YEARS since that was the case, there's every chance that the TS wasn't even born then.

Although given the standard of questions in the eighteen months of being a member (s)he appears to be regressing rather than progressing, so maybe Alzheimer's is progressing instead.

Thirdly, I'll put money on the member's IP being nowhere near "Saginaw MI"

AsheSkyler

There are still conditions when picking a color. Don't pick something that will clash with the foreground or blind the visitor.
Freedom of background color is like freedom of speech: you have the right to yell "fire!" in a crowded theatre or paint your site eye-blinding neon green on a barbie-pink background with bright yellow text. Common sense tells you "no".

MartyBoi

Yes, but it has been almost TWENTY YEARS since that was the case, there's every chance that the TS wasn't even born then.

Although given the standard of questions in the eighteen months of being a member (s)he appears to be regressing rather than progressing, so maybe Alzheimer's is progressing instead.

Thirdly, I'll put money on the member's IP being nowhere near "Saginaw MI"

Say what? I do live in Saginaw MI

chrishirst

Staff member
Ok, the questions about things that haven't be a concern for over ten years usually come from the "sub continent of South East Asia".

If that isn't the case you really need to throw away whatever you are reading and get something that is more recent.

Edge

LOL - I thought Saginaw was in South East Asia! Now I know it's in Michigan so I learn't something from this thread. It has a french style castle and a cultural centre built in conjunction with it's twin city Tokushima which has a tea house in which authentic tea ceremonies are performed. Interesting...