question about web-designer signature

sarahh

Hi everybody
I've got a question.
I've designed a Flash site and after all my work the client doesn't want my signature and my portfolio link in his site. this makes me angry because people won't be able to find me. if he doesn't allow me to put my portolio I will lose future works. and above all I think it's really a right to put the designer's name or portfolio under a site. what's your opinion? it's like a paint without signature.
for this reason I think I should ask him more money. he wants to pay me but still asks me to tell him a quote.
have you got similar experiences? what should be my behaviour in this situation? what should I ask him? how this should cost to the client?
please, respond as soon as possible

thank you

Sarah

darrenfox

Some clients prefer not listing your credits on the frontend of the website because they feel it takes away from their site. Your message is hard to decipher but it sounds like you are also trying to put a link to your portfolio on their site. That one is a first for me; you should limit the link to a small, short text phrase at the bottom of the homepage. They have every right to ask for it to be removed. You can still put your credits in the source code.
If this becomes a common problem, you could always offer a discount to those who allow you to list your name on the site.

LouTheDesigner

I would be pissed as well.

I have had clients get mad for NOT adding my signature, since they thought it was because I wasn't proud of the work I produced. The real reason I didn't add the signature at the time was that my site was under construction.

skiernan2

Hi Sarahh,

I'm sorry that you're in this spot. I can tell you that such a link, or links, are part of our normal contract, and I would advise you to include some language in whatever document you use today as your proposal/quote/etc.

There are cases where our clients don't want to include the link, but even then we ask that our name, without a link, is displayed, and typically this is done at additional cost to the client.

In this case, I empathize with you, but it sounds like there's no agreement in place to handle the link issue, so it may be a tough sell - and don't tarnish your reputation with a client over one link - it won't make or break your SEO.

In the future, just make sure you handle this up front and I think you'll find that most clients are pretty friendly about the whole issue.

I wish you the best!

AdExpressions

I agree with Skiernan2. If your client refuses to budge on this issue, then charge more for the project than originally anticipated. That way, your client gets their way and you get more money. Remember, when dealing with future projects, handle this issue up front before the project begins and it will save you some headaches.