Question about Graphic Design Copyrights

weblady

Hi-
I am relatively new to web design. I am working on a site for a woman right now who gave me the basic idea for what she wanted in a site. I went with what her ideas were and have designed a really nice site for her that she really likes. The problem is she wants to put on the bottom of the page that the graphic copyrights are hers and wants me listed as simply the webmaster, and she is considering herself the "Graphic Designer" because she gave me the idea. She also has told me that if anyone else comes to me and wants a site similar to hers that I will not be able to do it because she has copyrights. She has also talked with a lawyer about this. I don't want to get involved if this is going to get me in trouble down the road. I can't say for certain that I will never use any of the layouts or similar layouts that I used in her design with anyone elses design in the future. I also do not see how she can consider herself the "graphic designer" of this site, with all the hours that I have spent on my computer designing and building this site based on her particular ideas.

Any suggestions??:eek:

The other thing is this site would probably be getting lots of viewers and could be good for my future as a web designer or web site builder, not really sure what I'm technically supposed to call myself now!!

Last edited:

plgriffith

Well you are clearly the graphic designer, not her. But the question is, did she just pay for the site, or did she also pay for the rights to the design? Unless thee was a specific agreement that you released the rights to the design than it is still your work that you are simply giving her permission to use on your site. Don't let her slap you around - get your own lawyer.