Q: My Navigation Doesn't Show Up In FireFox ??

tatsudoshi65

Hey, Everyone!

I've been looking everywhere for an answer as to how to take care of this issue, but everyone's posts are too specific to their own site problems that I'm not sure how it would help mine..

So, I have just created this site for myspace layouts and stuff and I was testing it on FireFox and noticed that my navigation, which is written in CSS is showing up as just standard html links.

Here's a visual:

In IE (how it's suppose to look): :)
IEexample.jpg

In FireFox: :confused:
firefoxexample.jpg

Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to make it work in FireFox??
I'm so lost.

Thanks! Haylii

voodish

Ahh, right, what was it made with?

Firstly, I would suggest removing all the unnecessary code, code for the adverts, and all the inline CSS.

Secondly, Place the CSS in one file and link to it in the head of your document.

Thirdly, Validate the code, this will show you where some errors are likely to be. You can do this here:
http://validator.w3.org/

Off the top my head it is probably down to the inline style, I would suggest creating your navigation with an unordered list and then styling it from an external CSS file, it is much more manageable, oh and drop the frames, nasty.

wetgravy

i agree completely with voodish ... and get off of geocities. There are tons of better free hosts that won't put horrid code all over your pages.

One of the most notable things i saw ... was that you have alot of stray code any you it in alot of places ... example:

<style
a.nav:link, a.nav:visited, a.nav:active {color:CCCCCC; background-color:333333; display:block; text-align:left; border-bottom:1px solid black; text-decoration:none; font-weight:none; letter-spacing:1px;}

a.nav:hover {Color:ADFF2F; background-color:333333; display:block; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; border-bottom:1px solid black; letter-spacing:1px; font-variant:none; line-height:18px;}
>

<div id="NAV" style="position:absolute;left:370px;top:288px;width:200px;height:180px; color:FFFFFF; font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px; text-transform: none; font-weight:bold; background-color: 333333; text-transform:none; border-color:000000; border-style:solid; border-width:0px; text-align:left;" overflow:none;>
<a href=" home.html" target="frame" class="nav">Home</a>
<a href=" layouts.html" target="frame" class="nav">Myspace Layouts</a>
<a href=" contact_tables.html" target="frame" class="nav">Contact Tables</a>
<a href=" contact_buttons.html" target="frame" class="nav">Contact Buttons</a>
<a href=" comment_boxes.html" target="frame" class="nav">Comment Boxes</a>
<a href=" ext_network.html" target="frame" class="nav">Extended Network</a>

<a href=" graphics.html" target="frame" class="nav">Graphics</a>
<a href=" tutorials.html" target="frame" class="nav">Tutorials</a>
<a href=" colorschemes.html" target="frame" class="nav">Color Schemes</a>
<a href=" hidecodes.html" target="frame" class="nav">Hide Codes</a>
<a href=" customs.html" target="frame" class="nav">Custom Designs</a>
<a href=" http://www.myspace.com/deathred47"target="_new" class="nav">The Designer</a>
<a href="mailto:[email protected]" target="_new" class="nav">Contact Haylii</a>
</div>

that is your actual code for your listing ... i really don't see any actual attributes that would mess with the code the way it does except it uses alot of dynamic attributes. If i take that code by itself and put it in it's own document it works great. So your main issue is finding out if geocities is messing with it or if there is something in your code that is over-riding it's normal display.

tatsudoshi65

i agree completely with voodish ... and get off of geocities. There are tons of better free hosts that won't put horrid code all over your pages.

What would you say is the best free web host?
I've always just used GeoCities.
I hate Angelfire, or whatever. Idk if thats a popular choice or not. lol

wetgravy

I've tried alot of free hosts. you can compare just about all of them here: http://www.free-webhosts.com/

personally i like freehostia. I wouldn't pay for them but they are fast, have mysql support and pop3 e-mail so you can atleast get e-mail to your domain. (can't send though since they don't want spammers signing up just for that)

Also, agilityhoster is ok. really you just have to look for something without ads, has a good user review and can do what you want.

tatsudoshi65

Okay, good news!
I got the nav issue taken care of.
The problem was just moving my CSS to a separate file. Ha.
Simple enough.
Thanks so much!

tatsudoshi65

I've tried alot of free hosts. you can compare just about all of them here: http://www.free-webhosts.com/

personally i like freehostia. I wouldn't pay for them but they are fast, have mysql support and pop3 e-mail so you can atleast get e-mail to your domain. (can't send though since they don't want spammers signing up just for that)

Also, agilityhoster is ok. really you just have to look for something without ads, has a good user review and can do what you want.

I will look into those.
I'm really not in love with GeoCities for the facts you named, but I'm just use to them so...

Yeah, I get a fwd email through GoDaddy where I have my domain.

tatsudoshi65

FYI Guys, The problem was not the css code, it was GEOCITIES.
I opened the site up again in Firefox and the problem was still there.
So, I did what you suggested and transfered to Agilityhoster and sure enough, IT WORKS.
I love it.
It's waaaay better!

I thought I might log back in to mention that. =]

Thank you!