Protection From Hackers

Winterchase

I have no idea if this belongs here or not, but....

Somebody could do a lot of us a HUGE favor if you'd come up with a list of things we can build in to our sites do to protect them from hackers and the like. I know, I know, it's highly unlikely anyone would want to hack my site, but why risk it, if I don't have to?

StephanieCordray

Well... first i have to ask... what do you think would leave your site open to hackers?

There are issues on all levels of website maintenance. If you have problems with a straightforward HTML site, then you have host problems. There are some security issues with php and other web scripting that are beyond the hosting service's control but that is something to deal with as needed because the issues are different for different applications.

If you are talking about somebody stealing your site graphics, etc, there are scripts to deter that happening. If you are talking about someone hijacking your site, well depending on the nature of the hijacking there are problems with your services be it the hosting service, domain name service, or some other service. Sometimes it's not a true hijacking but a 'mirror' site but those can be just as damaging in their way.

People hack sites for a number of reasons but the reason that occurs most often is: Because they can. It doesn't matter the site, who owns it, or its importance in the grand scheme of things. They do it simply because they can which means that anybody's site is subject to being hacked unless it is secure.

Winterchase

Oh!

StephanieCordray said:
Well... first i have to ask... what do you think would leave your site open to hackers?

There are issues on all levels of website maintenance. If you have problems with a straightforward HTML site, then you have host problems. There are some security issues with php and other web scripting that are beyond the hosting service's control but that is something to deal with as needed because the issues are different for different applications.

If you are talking about somebody stealing your site graphics, etc, there are scripts to deter that happening. If you are talking about someone hijacking your site, well depending on the nature of the hijacking there are problems with your services be it the hosting service, domain name service, or some other service. Sometimes it's not a true hijacking but a 'mirror' site but those can be just as damaging in their way.

People hack sites for a number of reasons but the reason that occurs most often is: Because they can. It doesn't matter the site, who owns it, or its importance in the grand scheme of things. They do it simply because they can which means that anybody's site is subject to being hacked unless it is secure.

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Trust to luck, and the Gods?

StephanieCordray

No, not really trust to luck... absolutely nothing is hacker proof although there are hordes of software companies and open source groups working to make it happen... you get one security hole patched, hackers just look for another... it's a bit like a game but with serious consequences. However, the normal worries of hacker issues are usually covered by your hosting service. Your hosting service will have a list somewhere on their site what they protect against, even to email virus scanning. If they aren't keeping secure servers, it's time to look for another. The typical hacker who does damage to websites is not really a hacker in my book. He is a kid( whatever his chronological age) with too much time on his hands who found some scripts to use against an insecure web server. He defaces websites because it gives him a sense of power and it's not too hard to do. If it's hard, he moves on until he finds one that's easy pickings. So, if your host is good, you can sleep fairly easy. For a hacker to work very hard to crack open a server there has to be something there he wants bad enough to work for it.

Other issues, such as the ones I mentioned above can be handled usually through keeping the web applications you use updated because security patches are frequent. However, they are not typically your hosting service's responsibility to guard against even if they offer those apps through control panels such cpanel with fantastico, ensim with power tools, and so on.

RAJO

as i c it:
- garding the server where u puts ur site isn't something u can do, it's ur host company problem, although u may loose ur business completly coz of something just happened 2 the server
- garding ur contents from stealing is YOUR problem, there e scripts for everything, methods & techniques in web developping and designing to make it at least hard for anyone to steal ur contents

Winterchase

Tks

RAJO said:
as i c it:
- garding the server where u puts ur site isn't something u can do, it's ur host company problem, although u may loose ur business completly coz of something just happened 2 the server
- garding ur contents from stealing is YOUR problem, there e scripts for everything, methods & techniques in web developping and designing to make it at least hard for anyone to steal ur contents

Thanks. All help is greatly appreciated.