Proposal writing

I have been told to design a site but first, i should write a proposal. Pls i need ur assistance as this is my first commercial site.

elbow83

I have been told to design a site but first, i should write a proposal. Pls i need ur assistance as this is my first commercial site.

A proposal is a great way to get your head around what needs to be done.
Start by meeting with the client and getting an idea of what it is they want ie colour schemes, general layouts, what sites they like and you can possibly base your design on. Ask as many questions as possible when you are with the client, and make sure that all people involved in this design are there. Differing opionions are the bane of your life.
Do a rough sketch of what the site should look like and this will help with building the initial templates.
Make site maps to show how it will be laid out. This will help you figure out how many pages you will need, and what kind of menu structure you will follow.
Remember this is just a proposal. You can make changes to it as you design, just make sure you keep your client in the loop.

hope that helps

expo09

What stage are you at? Have you had the go ahead from the client and have they agreed to everything? Surely you had to write a proposal for the client before they hired you. If you are still pitching for the work then you need to write a proposal for the potential client.

If you mean do you need a proposal to help yourself plan the project, then it is always useful to have a plan of action of what you want to do and how you want it to look, what needs including etc. It doesn't have to be a proposal, just something you understand and that helps you as you go along.

expo09

Sorry, didn't read the question right first time.

They've asked you to design the site first? Do they just want some basic designs to decide whether or not your best for the job? I think you need a proposal to go with this.

Don't design the whole site before they hire you, as then you may have done the work for nothing if they go with someone else.