Programming for Web Design

Rino

Hi! I would like to design my own website. I want to know what is the best programming softwares to use? And What is the currently popular progamming software right now? I need to have lots of pictures/photos for my website and I will need to update the pictures/photos and news for my own website. Do I need to have a server and how do I create a server and link to my website?

I have learned some Web Design softwares such as Dreamweaver ,Photoshop,Cold Fusion, a little bit of Flash.

Please advice me.Thank You very much!

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
being that you already know cold fusion, i am guessing you probably want to try and take that route.

the only web host that i can think of that offers support for cold fusion is www.hostway.com. pretty good hosting company with great tech support, but a bit on the expensive side.

the more popular scripting languages are php and asp. cold fusion is more uncommen, being that it's rather expensive compared to the beforementioned two which are free.

DLPerry

As zkiller mentioned, Cold Fusion is not particularly popular for website development. Since you say you already know how to use Dreamweaver, and since that seems to be one of the popular wysiwyg editors in use these days...IMHO Dreamweaver might be a better option.

You will need space on a webserver somewhere to store and serve your website files, but you don't need to build your own server, unless you just WANT to - there are lots and lots of inexpensive hosts out there.

If your site is done using html, php, cgi, javascript, xhtml, etc. - a Linux/Unix based server is what you'll need. While I think a Unix/Linux box can offer 'some' asp support via additional modules - A Windows based server is preferred for .asp.

hth

--dlp

shannonlp

Just from an easy way to get up and going try looking at the Linux/Unix platform.

Using PHP/MySQL is a good free way to get a website up and running. You can get a large a amount of free scripts and templates for most of the major open source applications out there wither free or at a very low cost.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
As zkiller mentioned, Cold Fusion is not particularly popular for website development. Since you say you already know how to use Dreamweaver, and since that seems to be one of the popular wysiwyg editors in use these days...IMHO Dreamweaver might be a better option.

You will need space on a webserver somewhere to store and serve your website files, but you don't need to build your own server, unless you just WANT to - there are lots and lots of inexpensive hosts out there.

If your site is done using html, php, cgi, javascript, xhtml, etc. - a Linux/Unix based server is what you'll need. While I think a Unix/Linux box can offer 'some' asp support via additional modules - A Windows based server is preferred for .asp.

hth

--dlp
just thought i would point out that coldfusion is much more than just a wysiwyg editor. coldfusion is a server side scripting language. dreamweaver can also create cfm files though.

i was actually reffering to the use of the scripting language in my original post. i couldn't care less what editor one uses. it's all the same in the end anyways.

talk2frank

Just from an easy way to get up and going try looking at the Linux/Unix platform.

Using PHP/MySQL is a good free way to get a website up and running. You can get a large a amount of free scripts and templates for most of the major open source applications out there wither free or at a very low cost.

I agree, use open source technologies such as php / mysql due to the brilliant amount of scripts, free classes to help you get jobs done quicker, and a great community of people to get involved with. Can't say anything about cold fusion, but probably a lot more obscure so harder to learn online..