Profile based webpage

Bakery87

Hey all,

I have a website idea that needs a similar layout to Facebook. I'm not trying to make a similar website like this or myspace, I'm simply trying to make an online forum of such to allow users to upload content and share information.

I have a copy of Expressions Web 4, and I know in this program you can use HTML, python, PHP, and other programming languages. Ideally, I'd like to make a website, but don't want the language to go "dead" in a few years. Does anyone have any suggestions on what language(s) to program in?

The site will have googlemaps overlays, video, photo, and document uploading.

Any help would be great.

smoovo

Dead language..? Cockroaches will survive a nuclear war, and i think they forgot to mention the script languages as well... :D

You can use any kind of language you known.

webstudent123

any language

as stated above- No language will necessarily go 'dead' -

I would recommend PHP- very browser and user friendly, plus tons of free tutorials out there.

You may want to consider a free forum that is already set up that you could make minor cosmetic changes to though -- Google "free forum template"

Bakery87

Thanks guys. Good to hear one won't die out. I think a template is a great idea if I can customize it.

I guess I'd be looking to use other free programs out there (like google maps) and widgets, and also be able to "data mine" from other webpages. I'll look into PHP.

Thanks for your help.