Problem with IE 7

djaef

Hi.
I'm new here. I'm sure this forum is full of wanna be web designers, as well as seasoned pros and I have to admit to swelling the ranks of the former. I am a photographer more than anything else, but due to a regional market, I want to supplement my fledgling photography business with web design, graphic design and writing.

I'm not an absolute newbie or anything, but like anything, the more you get into web design, the more complicated it gets. I have a million bad habits and I've basically forgotten how to write html code, but things are changing so quickly I hardly recognise the source code any more. I went to validate the xhtml of my new site today and it's riddled with errors :p. So I'm still learning, but I do love it.

To my initial problem (if you like problems I have many)...

I am making a site for a neighbour, and the splash page doesn't show up on IE 7, but it shows fine on Firefox. I haven't tested it on Opera or on Mac. Can anyone see why the redirect works, but no visuals show up on load? I realise there are various arguments about using the refresh meta tag, but that's another issue. I want a quick splash page that redirects automatically.

Anyway, if anyone would be good enough to have a quick look, the url is here:

http://www.gondolasofnoosa.com/splash.html

Thanks and it's good to be here!

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
when testing in IE7, the redirect was instant. the browser didn't even get a chance to load the page.

but honestly, as a user i really wouldn't miss the splash page. these are a thing of the past and a waste of everyones time anyways. however, that's just .02 cents.

djaef

Yeah I agree. But the client wants one. And for this business it sort of makes sense. It's a little teaser that ties in with their advertising. Anyway. I figured it was the redirect, so I'll work on that angle. Thank you for replying. I was wondering if you needed a secret handshake around here.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
what? you mean you don't know the secret handshake? meh... j/k :p

anyways, have you tried it with a longer time frame before the refresh?

djaef

no, not yet. I had a very nasty hard disk crash, total loss, thank God for my backup. Bummer it was about two days out of date :) Oh well... $600 later I am now up again, running my system drive in a mirrored Raid Array and trying out Vista. In about 3 days I should have my system back to somehwere near what it was and I can have a look at that redirect. I agree it would be easier just to remove it, but keeping it and clicking "enter" seems like a lousy alternative. Considering the clients want a splash, I thought an autoredirect after only a few seconds would be the best option. Increasing the time would just get people looking for the link. I've added a link to the picture anyway, but I sort of like the idea of a quick splash and then onwards, without the user having to do anything.
Thanks for the reply anyways. I'll see what I can do.