Printer friendly pages?

sonicape

Hi all,

I run a sporting related website here in south africa and need assistance with creating printer friendly pages.

If you visit my website www.unionrugby.co.za and access the fixtures page for instance, I want to be able to have visitors click on an icon that would take them to a printer friendly page.

i am not too au fais with PHP so if you could explain in laymans terms I would appreciate it.

Many Thanks

Scandle

A printer friendly page is basically a version of a page with basic colors such as black and white, and few or no graphics. All you need to do is create a duplicate of the page you want users to be able to print and modify the colors so that it prints clearly (test on a printer). You would then link to this page from the main page.

qadisha

Printer friendly pages

You can add the following in your stylesheet so that images are not printed:

@media print{
.hide img{
display: none;
}
}

And you can add a class ".noprint" (or whichever name you choose)
to divs which you do not want to print:

@media print{
.noprint{
display: none;
}
}

In this way, you avoid having to create the same page twice, especially as I imagine the content of these pages will change frequently. This is what I do for a website giving bus timetables which change occasionally so I don't want to have to modify 2 pages each time and yet I want visitors to be able to print them out.