Post in the wrong forum...Sorry repost here

froggypili

Okay so I am a total newbie. I have read some forums and have taken a few tutorials on the basics of html, xml, javascript & css.

So here is my dilema. I kept hearing that Dreamweaver is a do it all for websites. In other words I thought you could design and code your website with all those pretty graphics all in one. However, when I tried navigating through Dreamworks, I can't seem to find any easy way to design a website with the exception of using CSS to change fonts, background colors, etc. I'm I crazy? So now I'm assuming you would also need a design software like Photoshop before moving your design over to Dreamweaver to code and make it functional no?

If so, please tell me if I have this right...

1. Create fully layered design in Photoshop?
2. Open up fully layered design in Dreamweaver and code design, images, text, etc?
3. Make the site functional with HTML and Javascript and off course other languages if needed?

Sorry for the dumb quesitons but I am a newbie who plans to dive into this field and I really want to make sure that if I take the time to learn softwares/coding that I am learning the right ones and also don't waste money on software that I do not need.

My main concern was also pretty much that I thought Dreamweaver could design and code your website but it seems like you need to do the graphical design in another program as Dreamweaver seems to be limited.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

starteasy

Yeah sounds about right buddy.

Do your design in photoshop. Slice it and make rollover images in PS3. Then open up Dw CS3 and make the layers, and insert your slices in the layers. Then convert the layers to css div's. And all other code, and you're done. (in a way lol).

So yeh, uve hit the nail on the head.

anthony.alaan

Dreamweaver is not a "Design" program. It is more of a WYSIWYG editor where you take a design created in a graphics program and you import it into Dreamweaver to build the site code and functionallity. You cannot do graphics editing in Dreamweaver. Instead of having to code your website layout with bare html in a program like notepad you would just arrange your images and add the text in Dreamweaver and it will automatically make the code for you. I would suggest using Dreamweaver but not to just stay on the WYSIWYG view. Switch between the code view and the WYSIWYG view so you can understand what the code does and how it works.