possible to setup "fake" ecommerce sites?

aracaris

I'm getting requests for ecommerce sites, but the only thing I've worked with is Paypal.
I know there's a lot of different shopping carts out there, and Wordpress ecommerce plugins and such, and I want to get a hang of using them.

What I want to know is, what is the best way to learn how to setup ecommerce sites without actually having a product to sell?

Perhaps set up fake online stores with a bunch of non-existent products?

Has anyone tried this sort of thing before?

Last edited:

v2Media

Learning transactions with creditcard gateways is a trail by fire for most developers. Not many gateways provide sandboxes like PayPal unfortunately.

When you get an account with a gateway for a client, in most cases there's an option for test transactions. This is normally the only opportunity you have to 'learn'. Gateways that provide 100% test accounts for non paying clients are rarer than hens teeth.

If it's any consolation, interacting with gateways is really easy, providing you've got a good grip on making remote connections to external servers. If you're a php dev, get to know the cURL library like the back of your hand and you'll breeze through it.