Possible to have hotspot links on DIV background image?

FrontPage97

I know how to create hotspot hyperlinks on an imaged placed in a DIV. Now I have an image (landing page banner with graphic text) set as a background inside my header. Not sure if it's even possible in Dreamweaver to create hotspots on a background image. Or is this the "best" way of doing it? Should I instead just insert the image inside the .header DIV?

chrishirst

Staff member
"better" is a subjective view.

Image maps ('hotspots') are a bit 'last century' but there's no "harm" in using them, mapping links over background images takes more thought and requires a level of competence above WYSIWYG drag 'n' drop.

drding

I remember in my very first web class we made image maps and got the coords using MS Paint. Good times....

FrontPage97

I found an article that said that if you have several hot spot links to create then placing an image is the better route. It's quicker that's for sure.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just position elements over the image where you need them, if they're square/rectangular in shape. Depending on how this is laid out, and I want to stress that it's only necessary if they're arranged in some irregular layout, this would be one of those times AP divs might come in handy. Try to use relative along with the top and left offsets to push them into place first.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Highly unlikely!

actually it is very easy to create with DW.

in the properties panel it's got an option for "map"

circle, rect or poly.

and it actually doesn't add any awful code.
shock horror!

Edge

circle, rect or poly.

shock horror!
True - if I had to create an image map I'd actually do it in Dreamweaver. Remember to add alt attributes to each area slice though.

Last edited:

FrontPage97

circle, rect or poly.

shock horror!
Actually as far as I can tell this panel does not work when the images is a background inside a DIV. That panel only becomes active when an image is inserted.

chrishirst

Staff member
This is a Stu Nicholls tutorial on making an "image map" with positioning. http://www.cssplay.co.uk/articles/imagemap/

Be aware that you do need to study the code carefully before embarking on your own.

And ... as Ronald pointed out earlier, one of the VERY few times where absolute positioning can be used CORRECTLY.

Last edited: