Pls check out

Manganix

Hi

currently I'm taking my very first steps in webdesign.
I already put something together to start with, and would like to know about the first impression you get.

http://users.telenet.be/Manganix/Manganix_Intro.html

All tips and tricks are welcome! ;-)

Grz,
Manganix

PS: as you'll see, I used existing magazine covers I picked up from the internet to decorate my website. Would this cause any trouble (for me) like copyright stuff...? Even my site is non-commercial at all?? If anyone could advise about this, that would be great ;-)

Manganix

in firefox on windows i just see a black screen
Thx for your feedback.

I tried it on IE, Chrome and just tried also Firofox ... works on the 3 explorers.
Takes 2-3 seconds to load the page, but it opens.

I get the best view (without having to scroll with the bars) on Chrome.

I wonder if others checked out the website also and saw only a black screen? All feedback is welcome, thx! :)

d a v e

ok for some reason it works now but it's way over to the right - is that intentional?

also that flashing thing is really annoying! ;)

jnspire

My Review

I also got the black screen; But, I figured out why right away by right clicking and seeing that it was a flash site.

The reason some users only see a black screen, is because your flash takes a very long time to load. You should incorporate a quick little preloader bar that will preprocess everything on the site before the user even sees it. That way, everything will be near instant when the user gets to it...

Also, to keep users on the page you can use script which will show the user what percentage of the page is loaded already (or how much is left to load. Depending on your preference).

Your design laps out to far to the right and creates a scroll bar (in Firefox for mac) on the bottom of the page. Your page also does not allow page resize which really draws away from functionality. I would design the layout so that everything is centered on the screen and leave space on either side of the content so that the users can choose for themselves their page size.

I would cut down on the busyness of the page and focus on functionality... Many of your buttons (esp NXT & PRV) did not work the first time that I tried them (probably due to the same flash issue listed above). However, after about five minutes of letting the page sit I went back and everything had finally loaded. I would strongly suggest using only a little bit of flash to add an edge to the site instead of using mostly or all flash. You can set simple HTML links right next to a flash piece and no one will know the difference. It would allow your links to work instantly, load faster, and be way more functional from a users stand point.

The NXT & PRV "links" should probably cover the entire area of the arrows as well as the letters. At the moment only the letters and a small space around them work as a button.

I also Agree that the flashing on the main page has got to go... it's awefull...

In all honesty If I wasn't reviewing the site... I would not have stayed on it.
People stay on sites that are functional and empower the user. Which means designers should create based on the user not the presentation. (Or at least the user first then presentation).

That is not meant to be cruel, I am just saying (constructively). :)

I can tell that you put alot of time into it... And from an insider perspective I think that the concept of the site design seems really cool.
I look forward to seeing the progress!

Last edited:

Manganix

dear all

thx for your feedback. I really appreciate your input ;-)

I know the site is far away of being functional etc... but I'm just getting started with webdesign, and at the moment, I'm trying out some stuff.
So far, I could only had the chance to start with flash, but I think I should start learning HTML aswell, in order to minimize the slowliness of flash an -entirley in flash built- website.

I read about HTML5, so I guess start with that...

In the mean time, I tried to reduce the business of the site, so hopefully this quick and small update looks a bit less awefull (flashy) ;)

Peace,

Manganix
http://users.telenet.be/Manganix/Manganix_Reception_Page.html