Please Review My Web Page

Paul B

Hi all

Could you please have a look at this Web Page i've designed for a relatives business.

I would like to know about positive and negative aspects of the page

I've been working on this for about a year now and the person I'm designing it for is still not happy LOL

I'm only an amateur and have not been studying Web Design for very long.

Here's the link :- http://sapphire-import-export.co.uk/index11.19.html

Thank you :)

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the layout of information is user-friendly but the graphical aspect seems outdated. Do you have an image rendering program like photoshop? You can download a trial version of PS from Adobe.com (only lasts for 30-days) but it will get you started. I think having the texture behnid the text makes it harder to read. Perhaps use a solid color behind the text. Save the texture for the perimeter. I would also recommend blending the diamond image into the banner it sits on, make them seem like they are one. Having the bounding box around it makes it seem like it was placed there last minute.

Great start, good luck.

BostoN

Some feedback for you

Hello there!

I can only agree on previous poster, the graphic content seems to be a bit outdated. In my taste, the lightblue background does not fit on the black letters and they get a little hard to read. Also about the "External links" menu. I think you should take away the border cause without it your buttons will get more alive, at least thats what I think :rolleyes: one more thing on this, I think you should change the color on the links to maybe grey?? (Because you said you where a beginner i´m gonna propose you lern CSS, but then I don´t know if you can code a CSS doc).
As a suggestion I think you should ad a sitemenu (if you have one I totally missed it) cause one page seems a little little if you know what a mean:cool:, maybe you could have a page with previous assosiates to the company or something like that.
One more thing before I bore you to death :p Please make something about the banner cause it´s just to much different colors, I would make the contact adress and phone in a smaller size and all same color (not black and blue) I would also make the slogan a tiny bit smaller and the company name bigger.
Okay, well... Now I deffinatly bored you to death, and then I drove you over with a car...;)

Hope that this will be to help, Good luck!
BostoN
(Sorry for my bad English)

Paul B

Thanks for the input :)

I've made a few changes but I'm having problems getting the nav bar on left hand side to display. I've designed using FrontPage and have installed Frontpage Extensions on the server. Also, it's displaying as intended with IE7 but not with FF3

Ignoring that, whats your opinions now?

http://sapphire-import-export.co.uk/index11.21.shtml (Best viewed in IE7)

I'd like to point out to the previous poster that our company is just starting out and has no previous clients so not much to put on the site at present, hence the one page LOL ... but obviously when the company grows new content/pages will be added.

I've only just started doing a web design course with the Open University. I did a course last year but it was just like a starter course. Haven't gone into great detail about CSS yet but will get to it eventually later in the book

adx

I think you'd be better off if you ditched the wallpaper and replaced it with a light blue or plain white color. Also the left-hand navigation should consist of site links instead of external ones, 'cause it's rather confusing. I didn't expect to see a link to Peta on an import/export site. ;)

Paul B

Right, I've ditched the wallpaper :)

If I move the External site Links to the right-hand side, which is where I wanted to put them in the first place but the person I'm doing the site for insists they want the Declaration of Human Rights statement down the right-hand side .... where do I put the the Declaration of Human Rights statement?

adx

Right, I've ditched the wallpaper :)

If I move the External site Links to the right-hand side, which is where I wanted to put them in the first place but the person I'm doing the site for insists they want the Declaration of Human Rights statement down the right-hand side .... where do I put the the Declaration of Human Rights statement?

From what I can see the background image is still up and running!
I guess you could just keep the declaration and remove the external links all together. Since you don't have any internal links i.e. a menu it still looks like the external ones are internal. Which means that people will click them and leave your page, which can't be good for business. :)

Paul B

Sorry, you're still viewing the old one, I haven't uploaded the changed one yet LOL ... I will probably upload it later today.

I've renamed the links from "External Site Links" to "Ethical Companies". It ties in with the "Declaration of Human Rights", we are totally against slave labour, thats why the links are there :)

Paul B

Ok here's the new link

http://sapphire-import-export.co.uk/index11.23.html

It's best you view it in IE as for some reason the layout is slightly different when viewed in FF3 ... the cellpadding is not acting as it should. Also the navigation links are still not showing :confused:

I felt that as the links were related to ethical companies the links would be better off just above the Declaration of Human Rights, as what I've learnt on my course so far is that related topics should be together.

Whats your views on the page now?

adx

It's best you view it in IE as for some reason the layout is slightly different when viewed in FF3 ... the cellpadding is not acting as it should. Also the navigation links are still not showing :confused:

Yes, tables are pretty crazy! But since it's still only a single page as of now and you seem to be struggling a little, I'd be happy to do a single page mock-up for you if you'd like. I sort of feel like the page isn't living up to it's potential! The white background really made a big difference! :)

Paul B

I managed to sort out the cellspacing problem in FF3, Frontpage added some code that needed to be deleted.

The navigation graphics are now showing, I found out that I had to create a folder called _derived on the host site and then upload the graphics to that folder.

Here is the latest version of the web page

http://sapphire-import-export.co.uk/index11.24.html

You could do a single page mock-up if you like, that would be good :)

Paul B

Wow!! wish I could do something like that, wish I could use that page myself LOL but I wont :)

Maybe I can take some ideas on the design and design a new page myself if thats ok but make it look different :)