Please help....

LouTheDesigner

Okay, I am trying to set up a simple guestbook for a client. So I decided to go with the tutorial at the following URL:

http://www.phpeasystep.com/phptu/15.html

It all looks plain and simple, but how on earth do I set up the database? I clicked on the link for help, which led me to the following URL:

http://www.phpeasystep.com/mysqlview.php?id=2

But when I downloaded phpMyAdmin, I had no idea what files to open in order to set things up. Do I upload all of these php files to the web server in order to use them?

For installation, the writer of the phpeasystep guide just puts "Put phpMyAdmin folder where you keep php file." Keep what PHP file? This guide is so frustrating. Maybe I'm just cranky.

Can someone please explain for my feeble mind.

Thanks in advance,
Louis

jnjc

Are you third party hosting ? If so you should already have something to admin you databases as part of your account. You should have some sort of control panel login and from there you should be able to find the pages to admin you databases.

HTH,
JC

LouTheDesigner

Okay,

I am now very lost. What is the easiest way to create a guestbook? I haven't the slightest clue as to how to set up a database. The client set up their website before meeting with me, and they chose a very strange hosting service, www.budgetnic.com. I have never even heard of this host.

ahk2chan

Hm... actually i was looking at the hosting websites... it seems like it already has phpMyAdmin installed. You can ask your customer about that. And if you get access to it, you can create your database there.

Once you have database access, then I think you should be able to follow the tutorial.

However, my personal experience is that if you are doing your own guest book, I would say your #1 enemy is spam... So maybe you need to add captcha on it. Personally I don't have experience with any guest book engine / api.

jnjc

Do you know what the client used to setup their website ? If it's a CMS then it might be as simple as installing a plugin.

Another thing to look at is that this hosting company says it comes with 'Advanced Guestbook' as an installed website add-on maybe you should see what this is ?

Failing all that, look to use one of the opensource quest books, it should come with installation instructions.

HTH,
JC

LouTheDesigner

Do you know what the client used to setup their website ? If it's a CMS then it might be as simple as installing a plugin.

Another thing to look at is that this hosting company says it comes with 'Advanced Guestbook' as an installed website add-on maybe you should see what this is ?

Failing all that, look to use one of the opensource quest books, it should come with installation instructions.

HTH,
JC

They didn't actually have a website, just a paragraph of text as the home page. This hosting company doesn't look like it has an add-ons eithers. I'll have to find an open source guestbook. I am just clueless as to how to use MySQL.

jnjc

According to the www.budgetnic.com website the hosting company does.

Choose Web Hosting -> Hosting Plans from the top menu

Click on the "Compare Linux Plans" tab towards the bottom of the screen.

Towards the bottom of the screen there under "Website Add-Ons" it says "Advanced Guestbook"

This may be all you need, try and find out what it is and how to activated it and it may solve your problem.

HTH,
JC

LouTheDesigner

According to the www.budgetnic.com website the hosting company does.

Choose Web Hosting -> Hosting Plans from the top menu

Click on the "Compare Linux Plans" tab towards the bottom of the screen.

Towards the bottom of the screen there under "Website Add-Ons" it says "Advanced Guestbook"

This may be all you need, try and find out what it is and how to activated it and it may solve your problem.

HTH,
JC

I saw that, and tried looking all over for it once I signed into the account. Eventually I called their tech support, and they told me that I don't have that 'type' of account. I said how much would it cost to upgrade, and they told me that I can't because my client had already signed up for a crappier account. (I thought "yeah, hence the name UPGRADE"). What a bad hosting company. They must try to suck in order to suck this bad.

Back to researching this mySQL thing.

jnjc

That is pretty bad.

When you logged into the account did it have a control panel ? Was there any admin option on it ? You need to find out what they have signed up for. Make sure their package gives they mySQL and php before you go any further.

If you are going to use an open source guest book, find the one you want to use and go from there. Very often these will come with either installers or good instructions. If not let us know what you are trying to install and I'm sure we can help.

HTH,
JC

horrorshow75

Well it looks like even the lowest plan on that site offers 10 MySql Databases. So there must someway to create a DB. Can you take a screenshot of what you see when you log in. Creating a DB isn't too hard even without MyPHPAdmin.

ahk2chan

If you can find a good open source guest book, could you please post one out in this thread? Thanks in advance!