PLEASE help! I am so frustrated I could cry!

georgie2810

Hi guys,

I am making a website for a charity www.thesccproject.org

On firefox, safari, chrome etc all looks good. Initially on safari the tables automatically widened regardless of the width they were set to but I managed to solve it by containing each section in div layers.

However, on IE (Honestly, that browser is the bane of my existence) the homepage still goes crazy, it doesn't contain the text. On one other page it actually makes it smaller for no apparent reason. Just to add to my woes the hover drop down menus which use javascript dont stay hovering if you use the links other than the first.

PLEASE help. I am my wits end with this one!

Thankyou :)

sysgenmedia

Hi Georgie,

It looks like you've solved most of your issues on the home page except for the dropdown menus. I've checked it in IE6, 7, and 8, so if what you're seeing is still really messed up it may be a local issue.

As for the javascript menu, it's honestly usually faster to try a different menu script instead of trying to force a broken one to play nice with IE. There's plenty of javascripts out there to create dropdown menus if you do some searching in Google. IE especially is really picky when it comes to javascript, so it's usually best to have a few options in mind as you're developing new features until you find something that works.

Best of luck! We've all had our IE pains. :)

~Nathan

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Georgie, first step in debugging a layout is ensuring you have a valid doctype and html...

Add a doctype and fix the html and you're in a better position to debug.

Correct, this is very important!

Also, most drop-down menus can be built with css. The only javascript you would need would be for a IE6 fix. (IE6 will not recognized ":hover" on any element other than an anchor)

Paultbk

I would agree...start with the validation and you will be amazed on what it can fix for you...As for IE6..well alot of people disagree with me, but I have given up trying to make things look perfect in it. So don't drive yourself crazy with it, be like me and say screw IE6...its very liberating:)

bluecollar01

You may need to write a separate style sheet for each browser. Here is a link that talks about cross browser compatibility, IE hacks and implementing multiple style sheets. Hope it helps.