Please give feedback on H1 tags

wilhorse

Hello, I am struggling with keyword-rich h1(tag) titles that do not include commas, if, and's, or but's....

My business is very specialized, and I am mostly found thru google searches that have to do with proud flesh in horses (how to treat, get rid of, etc.).

I have a couple other companies to complete with, so I want to take advantage of good content, and keyword-rich titles. I'm happy with the content, but really struggling with the titles. I'd like some input if you have a moment to look. I never did well with outlines in school.

http://www.resolvewound.com/

d a v e

er, and why would you want to avoid some of the basic syntax of real language? i thought google could manage a few ifs and buts, a few commas here and there ;)

wilhorse

Well, I read Google throws out titles with commas, and words such as and. I finally had to add an and, or two, as it was driving me crazy.

So, this isn't true, I can have a grammatically correct title and still have it picked up by google?

d a v e

well i'm no SEO expert (or even an amateur one) so...
where did you read this? was it a reliable source? i always write headings for people, rather than Google, but i would be amazed if were true that they threw out sentences with commas and 'and's. Maybe best to wait until someone with a better knowledge of Google's criteria can give you a more authoritative answer.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
the fact you state that you are NOT an SEO expert means your word is probably more reliable than from an "expert"...

why? people may ask.
this...
i always write headings for people, rather than Google
and who uses google? PEOPLE!

overthinking about SEO is a huge issue. Spend your time much more productively fine-tuning your craft. Experts are skilled at "confusing" the clients with all this mumbo-jumbo making it out to be this "dark arts" of sorts. thats all BS. write for people, always.

the thing is when search engines like google first came out, they had to use algorithms which experts caught onto pretty quickly how to abuse, they have since then been fine tuning these algorithms to be more "smart", the experts call it being "punished" by google, but in reality, if you always, ALWAYS wrote copy, content, headers, descriptions, and titles as if a human was reading it then you would not have been punished by google, in fact it would probably appear that you would have been "rewarded".

the algorithms are only ever going to get "smarter" so it is best to look forward to the way it will eventually operate and consider that, rather than the "dark arts" techniques of the "experts", who are only going to get more and more ruthless as they realise their run is coming to an end...

other than that the best "expert" you can call on for SEO help is your brain.

chrishirst

Staff member
Well, I read Google throws out titles with commas, and words such as and. I finally had to add an and, or two, as it was driving me crazy.

Let's simply say that who ever told you that was talking complete and total bollocks, and knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at all SEO.

Cramming "keywords" into heading elements is NOT SEO at all, and the idea of there being "stop words" in documents and search terms was discredited well over ten years ago.

So whomever is passing such information you can class them as being most definitely an SEO "expert"

chrishirst

Staff member
Don't bother about rankings, they really have not been remotely useful since 2003, when Google moved from their monthly updates, known as (the Google dance) to continuous updates known as "everflux".

Also the personalisation has continued, and now if you search Google's index like a "rank checker" you are skewing your results ;
A: Towards results that you often click on.
and
B: Seeing very different results, as and when Google add newly discovered URLs to their index and show them to you because they are trying to show you something new for what you "usually" search for.

If you want another opinion from a "known" SEO read 5 Reasons Why Rankings Are A Poor Measure Of Success

The site access logs or analytics are what you should be looking at to gauge if your marketing is having an effect, and a rising trend of conversion rates will tell you if your optimising is effective.

Discard the "advice" from "Charlie" he is just spouting the 1990's formulaic clap-trap that now gets document URLs REMOVED from the index for so-called "over optimising", that was/is the function of Google's "Penguin" and subsequent updates.

Read Barry Schwartz's article on Too much SEO?