Please critique my website

Denno

I have designed and created a website for my local footy club, and I would like some feedback from people about it.

It's my first time using div's and extensive css, always used to use tables. But now that I've found these things called divs, I doubt I'll use a table again :D (although there are still a couple of tables in this site lol).

One thing that I would really like feedback about is the contact page. I'm not sure how to lay this out. At the moment it looks a little bit cluttered, but I'm not sure how I can improve it.

The link is: pnfc.cphoster.com

Please let me know what you think :)

Denno

Edit:
I should also say that it's obviously not 100% completed, you'll see that on the very first page where I have just place holder text, but try and look past the actual content, and more look at the design. Thanks

elcape

very good for your first web site in css

but ill recomment maybe think outside the box

add some rounded courner or something

but very good

Denno

It's funny that you say about adding rounded corners, because I originally did have rounded corners for the design. However looking through this forum (or maybe another web design forum), one of the more adept web designers mentioned to someone else that rounded corners are out, and the straight corners with a dark outline, and a transparent outline around that is in, so that's why I've gone with it :). I actually think it looks a bit more professional with the straight corners, the rounded ones looked a little too plain.
Here is the design I originally started with before I changed to the straight edges/corners.

Thanks for your opinion :).
Denno

Last edited:

ddt

I like the straight lines better myself as well. Good job, looks clean and easy to use. A few things on the negative side though. You still have template language in there called lorem ipsum. It is also on the home page. And the Media tab, click on that and it says "type shiz here" Not good to show people yet. On a more technical note, your markup when validated comes up with 5 errors and 5 warnings. You just have a few typos in the tags. Nothing big. All around Great Job!!!

Hope my feedback helps

ishie

Nice work, but could've been so much better.I suggest you utilize the blank space at the right side of the page by putting sidebars or something in it.

Denno

Thanks for the tips guys. Sorry about the media page, I forgot that I had that there. That's why written just for a place holder in my template file.

Also, the template language is supposed to be there, I made mention of it in my original post. I still have to hassle the club to give me some actual content to put in that place. I also have an idea for the media page, but haven't put that into practice just yet.

ddt: you did a validation check... how did you do this? Am I able to do it in dreamweaver?

ishie: Could've been so much better? Suggestions? The right side column will be holding some logo's of sponsors. Is that all you had in mind?

Thanks for the responses so far

Denno

ddt

Yes you can do a validation check in dream weaver. Dreamweaver does a good job most of the time, but the only thing out there that is 100% valid markup is the W3C standards.

Simple Steps:
1. Go to http://validator.w3.org/
2. Type in URL in the box.
3. Hit validate
4. Read and correct errors.

Let me know if you need more.

P.S In Dreamweaver you look for the little green Arrow pointing to the right. Click on that and hit validat current document.

Denno

Ok, have now address the validation errors, and also made the sponsors logos' show in the right hand column. They were always there, but I forgot to upload the photos so they weren't actually on the server, and as I'm using Firefox, the non-found image place holder wasn't shown, so it wasn't completely obvious to me. Haven't done anything about the media page just yet, but that will come.

Could I please get some feedback about the contact page? (http://www.pnfc.cphoster.com/contact.html)

I need some ideas as to making it look, well better. I'm not sure it looks fantastic how it is at the moment.

Thanks
Denno

Denno

Yeah it is. I don't know why. I woke up this morning and the darn thing isn't working. But it seems that none of the free websites hosted by this hoster are working, so I'm guessing they're having server issues.

Sorry

Denno