php, html with iframe or frameset? help with basic outline!

jualgi

hi everyone. i need to update our more or less boring homepage for my swimming team and i found this great layout that i'ld like to adopt. i've been spending the last 2 days trying to figure out the best way to do so, but everytime i climb up the ladder of webdesign success - i go straight back down twice... :rolleyes: so if i could catch some advise here, i would be very thankful!

my swim teams website is www.team-schwimmen.de
the layout i like is www.pilotmartin.dk

as editor i use adobe dreamweaver cs3.

basically my issue is whether or not to use php or html with iframes or framesets or some other trick to get such an outcome like www.pilotmartin.dk. once i get the outline (table, frameset or whatever) set i think i am able to put in the rest. as you might see from the swim teams website, there are not that many crazy things that i could put in. its simply data and pictures. the feature i really like from pilotmartin.dk is the flash random picture slideshow with this nice overlay on it. any code that does that for me out of a folder with selected pictures?

on the current website i used an iframe to load the contents into. is that the smartest thing to do or does anyone have the great solution? :confused:

by the way, the owner of the website is a friend of mine. i asked him if i could copy the styles, but the problem is that he once paid to get the design of the website, but he is not a real pro in webdesign himself.

thank you! :)
julian

Last edited:

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frames are generally considered bad practice in web design, which is why you don't see many web sites using them anymore.

Basically, such a layout consist of basic HTML and CSS. HTML for structuring the web site and CSS for styling it. You will need to learn about the float and position properties in CSS. Also the background and font properties will be of interest to you. Just open up google and search for CSS tutorials.

Here is a tutorial site to get you started: www.w3schools.com

Also, SitePoint point sells some great books on CSS.

Good luck and feel free to post back here, if you have any more specific questions.

jualgi

hey! ok i guess i found some kind of way to get a standart tableset. just one thing i cant get over: firefox reads it as i want it and ie doesnt :mad:

i put the site up:

www.team-schwimmen.de/try.html

try open it with both browsers. what am i doing wrong? or is there any better way (without css)? seems like the cell height doesnt count in ie...

julian

Geodun1

After examining the code that pilotmartin is using, I've found that they use a combination of divs and tables. Try viewing their source to get a feel for how they did things (since it obviously works for them).

Be careful about copyright infringement here!

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
This can be done using no tables at all. Just divs and some css is all that is needed.

However, I would be careful about ripping someone else s work like that, it's a blatant violation of international copyright law. It's one thing to take inspiration from someone else s work, it's another to straight up steal it.

jualgi

jeez people. i thought i said that its my buddys site and he was the one that gave me the backgroundpictures. apart from that its a background in different shades of blue and a border around a table...

but anyway: isnt there some way that i can just change the code that i made a bit and get the right result in internet explorer as well? as it apparently works in firefox?