PHP help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

david.brown

Hi,
I’m total beginner in PHP language, and I’m designing a site for a client of mine. There are certain pages I would like to use PHP on, and one of them is a new account forms page.
See, when the user enters his/her information in these fields, I would like the info to be stored somewhere, so my client can access the new customer account info, and I don’t know how do that, I can use the mailto attribute, but I don’t think it’s secure enough, and it’s tedious to cut-n-paste the info into a database. Can someone can help me out with this!?

Thanks
http://www.infysolutions.com

Last edited by a moderator:

conor

there is a very easy language that you can use to create databases called MySQL. Its similar to exel but on a far more basic level. It is very secure - as long as you do it properly! :) its exactly what you need.

Erik

Sorry, but comparing MySQL to Excel seems very strange to me. One is a spreadsheet based on cells and formulas where the other is a database that requires the use of SQL and integration with a programming language such as PHP. The two are completely different approaches.

To answer the question is PHP easy to learn, that is a totally subjective question.

As far as programming languages go there is nothing challenging about the syntax. However there is nothing challenging about a hammer and nail, yet I would never attempt to build a house. Okay, bad analogy perhaps, but you see my point.

The methods and constructs of programming are what you need to worry about. These are vast and usually require a great deal of time and work to master.

You can certainly read some tutorials and have something working in a fairly short period of time. Just make sure your expectations are realistic and understand that without a complete grasp of how web applications work, you could be creating a huge security risk with regards to the data you are storing.

We all had to start to somewhere, and for the beginner I would not suggest that start be on an actual client's site. Instead I would create a test application where you are free to experiment and make mistakes that won't cost anybody anything.

Once you are comfortable enough, and are confident enough in your abilities, then I would consider creating professional sites.

Just my two cents.

-Erik

manju

there is a very easy language that you can use to create databases called MySQL. Its similar to exel but on a far more basic level. It is very secure - as long as you do it properly! :) its exactly what you need.
Thanks for info
this info is very useful for us
Thanks Again

Fionnan

PHP Help

Hi all,
I was wondering if somebody could help me. I recently took over a photography website for a family member. He now wants to be able to let his clients log into his site to view the pictures from their wedding etc...
So, I want to a PHP script that basically works like this: Mary logs in with her correct password and it directs her to her page.

Has anyone any advice on this or even some good tutorials for this?

Thanks for your patience, I'm new to web design

conor

Store the values in a text file.

it is the easiest method.

That is essentially what MySQL does - it stores information in a text file.

Sorry, but comparing MySQL to Excel seems very strange to me. One is a spreadsheet based on cells and formulas where the other is a database that requires the use of SQL and integration with a programming language such as PHP. The two are completely different approaches.

In my opinion Excel is like MySQL as Dreamweaver is like writing HTML. They both achieve the same thing except excel and dreamweaver use a graphic user interface. In Excel you are doing the same things - creating databases, searching databases, creating tables, linking tables etc.

So I think it is a good comparison with MySQL just to show someone who knows nothing about the language what the language is like.

Henry1

about PHP

Taken directly from PHP's home, PHP.net, "PHP is an HTML-embedded scripting language. Much of its syntax is borrowed from C, Java and Perl with a couple of unique PHP-specific features thrown in. The goal of the language is to allow web developers to write dynamically generated pages quickly."

This is generally a good definition of PHP. However, it does contain a lot of terms you may not be used to. Another way to think of PHP is a powerful, behind the scenes scripting language that your visitors won't see!

When someone visits your PHP webpage, your web server processes the PHP code. It then sees which parts it needs to show to visitors(content and pictures) and hides the other stuff(file operations, math calculations, etc.) then translates your PHP into HTML. After the translation into HTML, it sends the webpage to your visitor's web browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.