PHP Form Tutorial or Script

Hi Everyone

I am planning on moving all my sites from Windows based servers to a Unix server.

Most sites feature forms written in ASP, I am about to start recreating in PHP.

Can anyone recommend any clear online tutorials or provide the core script for a basic form:
Name

Kind regards
Chris

StephanieCordray

I used an email script on a personal site not too long ago that didn't even need a database. If all you need is what you listed above, it's a lot better than anything database driven. Unless you need a whole lot more information why tie up a database? Let me look it up and get back to you on that tomorrow.

Sorry Ian, I went with Stephanie on this one as I have used hot scripts many times before.

Thank you Stephanie, I cant believe I have waited so long to start using PHP. The language seems much easier to understand than PHP.

I have only got a basic form running on a test server at the moment. Do you know if I will be able to fully customise the look of the form using CSS? An example of an ASP version I am using at present can be found here.

Thanks again
Chris

SiteHostCity

The great thing about moving to a Linux server is that most of them are already equipped with a universal FormMail script in the Cpanel, and all you have to do is put the parameters into the form tag. Pretty easy and you don't have to program anything except the form page and a destination page.

I can provide more information if you need it...

StephanieCordray

Sorry Ian, I went with Stephanie on this one as I have used hot scripts many times before.

Thank you Stephanie, I cant believe I have waited so long to start using PHP. The language seems much easier to understand than PHP.

I have only got a basic form running on a test server at the moment. Do you know if I will be able to fully customise the look of the form using CSS? An example of an ASP version I am using at present can be found here.

Thanks again
Chris

You should be able to. I used that script here: http://www.yvonneoots.com/email.htm

Yvonne didn't need anything elaborate for her site but the frontpage form wouldn't allow her to reply directly through the email she received because it went through her host's mailbox... why? don't know but that's how the host had it set up.

Now, if you need a database with the form, as SHC said, cpanel hosting comes with at least one form script that I know of, as does the ensim control panel. cPanel uses Fantastico, Ensim has Power Tools but the focus is easy install from the control panel, etc, so when choosing hosting, you might want to consider what features come with the control panel you will be using. It could save you having to search for some of those scripts that you need. We used to offer both ensim and cpanel but ensim kinda went "microsoft" on us and we stopped using them.