Photoshop or Dreamweaver,or both?

gumspitter

Are most sites these days designed in Photoshop, then uploaded to Dreamweaver for further editing? It seems that every site I see these days has a non tabular layout with good graphics. I have designed a site in Dreamweaver using tables for a high school baseball team. Should I redo in Photoshop to get rid of the "box" look and add some graphical design? I like my design, just don't want to be too bland.
My site is
http://www.applingpiratesbaseball.com

Do you think the site below was designed in photoshop,sliced, then edited with a program similar to Dreamweaver to add content? I like the concept of this site and would like to design future sites similar to this.

http://www.thebeautyempire.com/index.htm

please help me!!!

Last edited:

JMCDesigner

Well designed websites are first thought out on paper, then mocked up in photoshop (or similar program) to layout the page without being restricted to tables or layout etc. Only Then do you work out how to translate that design into html. I find that printing out your design, then drawing lines where you want your website broken up into sections of content usually helps.

Dreamweaver should really be only for building, not layout or designing your website. If you design and create your websites directly in dreamweaver, they will look boxy. You should also have a clear idea of how you intend to break up your design into html before starting up dreamweaver.

nimmysnv

Well designed websites are first thought out on paper, then mocked up in photoshop (or similar program) to layout the page without being restricted to tables or layout etc. Only Then do you work out how to translate that design into html. I find that printing out your design, then drawing lines where you want your website broken up into sections of content usually helps.

Dreamweaver should really be only for building, not layout or designing your website. If you design and create your websites directly in dreamweaver, they will look boxy. You should also have a clear idea of how you intend to break up your design into html before starting up dreamweaver.

Hi,

Dreamweaver is good piece of software that works the best and also it is good to use photoshop too.

As, dreamweaver is good for visual designers, web developers and web designers for creating professional web sites.

Thanks!!:)

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
The "box look" is simply a design style and is not necessarily a result of a table structure. As far as software is concerned, its a personal preference....but I suggest you have both PS and DW. There are other decent programming applications available aside from DW, but when it comes to design/graphics no software really matches up to PS (hence why it cost so much).

Like JMC stated, the best practice is to plan, design, then build.

zartwork

Tables are not used for web layout anymore, that was many years ago, the only time you would use tables is for tabular data.

In terms of design, mock up your site using photoshop, then lay it out with html and css using dreamweaver or another html editor.

hunterjordan

Tables are not used for web layout anymore, that was many years ago, the only time you would use tables is for tabular data.

Yes... I think that's because search engines can't read everything in tables and it becomes even worse if you have many nested tables. Another advantage of making tableless site is tableless layouts can be modified on the fly, not like tables where you'll have to edit multiple places on each page.