Person Blog/Portfolio Site. Advice, Comments, thoughts? Noob here

andy46

Personal Blog/Portfolio Site. Advice, Comments, thoughts? Noob here

I'm looking for some advice/thoughts/comments/ and input on my design, it's not done but here it is. It's a wordpress theme, I have the home page and the article/post page, they are both high res (sorry if they are a little, well, huge.) :D
Direct Links (Photobucket)
Main Page: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35138691/progress_main.jpg
Post Page: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35138691/progress_pst.jpg

Main Page
progress_main.jpg

Post Page
progress_pst.jpg
:eek:

Last edited:

iniedrauer

I'm not sure if the many human pictures are simply placeholders or actually design. If in fact they are design, it is far too redundant. Since its a WP theme, I presume you didn't design it? It's nice and clean looking, but if you have proper licenses I would advise you to make design alterations...just to make it your own. Only if you have proper license though.

andy46

Thanks for replying :)

I'm sorry, I definitely should have addressed that in my initial post. They definitely are placeholders, I know having that many in the same page would be redundant, thanks though. The thumbs under the recent photos section are also placeholders just like the copy in both jpegs. This is my first time actually looking for advice or opinions on my work, I was a little apprehensive so I guess that resulted in an unclear post.

It is a Wordpress theme but presuming I didn't design is a little a little disheartening, is it that the design isn't up to par aka it sucks? :( I definitely designed everything from scratch, the only thing that I didn't create my self is the social media icons on the top right (I got them in a package that gave everyone the right to use for both commercial and personal use).

If you we're to disregard the placeholders and filler copy, what would your opinion be on the design itself? Aesthetics, Typography, Negative Space, Color Theory, General appeal, execution? Anything regarding the design itself rather than the current filler content... I love brutal honesty, especially when it's my first time out in the ring.

Hope to hear from you, thanks for taking the time to read and reply

iniedrauer

Thanks for clearing that up.

To put it shortly, it looks really good in that case. Very clean and professional... my ideal of minimalist, text-first, adept-looking web design. I am going to gather you have a certain level of graphics design background even if you are a Web design "noob"?

I would love to see the final product once this is a functional WP site.

andy46

Thanks I appreciate the comments. The only real background I have is whatever I attained on my days off or late night when I get home from my day job. I've never taken a formal class so it's a little hard to know where I stand... I'll definitely be posting other updates on jpegs of the other pages once I finish designing them
Thanks niedrauer

I hope this doesn't deter others from telling me what they think of my work, I'm always looking for honest opinions / thoughts / and input on it. Hopefully it can help me grow as a designer, so the more the merrier!