Paying a Finders Fee??

Grafiti4u

Hi! My computer tech guy gave me a lead on a company that needs a website designed. In the past, we had talked about teaming up when he was getting his computer tech company started. We talked about him getting work, and I would get my freelance fee and he would bump up the hourly fee and that would be his cut. I was fine with that.

Since then, his company never happened. I am still freelancing. He just contacted me about a company in need of a website. I asked him if he talked prices with the man, and he said no, "But just bump it up a little for me!".

My question to you is, is a finders fee a one time thing? Sometimes, depending on the job, I charge hourly if there is ongoing changes. What is the best way to do this? Should I just quote the man a price for the entire job this time and take on a percentage? What is a reasonable Finders Fee percentage?

Thanks for any insight - I never worked this way before so I am not sure.

Kristi

Healthy

My question to you is, is a finders fee a one time thing?

It is generally a good idea to take care of people that bring you business. This is true of web design, but also pretty much any type of business.

Usually it is a one time fee per client. I wouldn't compensate him for anything past the initial job. What you pay him is up to you and depends on how much money you are making. Remember that you want him to keep on brining you business.