opinions on our new design

flipboy

I think it looks very nice but it needs color, or at least some graphics. In my opinion it looks a little empty.

adx

I kind of like it. It's like reading a newspaper which I think is a bit neat.
The thing is that it's just too bright for me (and probably others) to read, though the actual content is written in a very friendly manner and is therefore quite pleasant.

Definitely needs a bit more color though, and I have come to expect more pictures! ;)

JayT

i seriously want opinions on the new design.
OK.

What do you do? Are you a website design company? I don't know. I went to your site's home page and the first thing I see is a message telling me that I should fear you. Why? Are you going to hack my site? Sic a virus on me? What?

Who are your perspective clients?
Are you limiting your design work to just a certain few? Are you rebelling against the establishment and going after just the young hip hop or semi-techie crowd?

[Fear, Lamp, Brick] What is this? Are you saying that I should fear you because you may come throw a brick through my window and break my lamp?

Yes, I'm speaking to the content at the moment because this is what websites do - they provide information. As a 46 year old business owner with money in the bank, you aren't speaking to me with your website. The impression I get is that you're around 21 years old still living at home and you're a part of this pop-culture that believes everything should be free. Everything... EXCEPT YOUR services of course.

If you're going after kids who still get their money from mom and dad then you're right on target. But if you want to go after businesses with money, then you need to elevate your presentation to their level. You want my business right? Then why should - I - come down to your level?

This isn't personal, I'm trying to give you an honest impression of what your website is telling me. Again, this is all contingent on the predication that you are not limiting your services to only a select few. (Sorry, that was for RPD's benefit, he likes big words ;)

OK, now for the design.

I'm not totally against the design. I beginning to understand you and where you're coming from. You know, the world has just gone too capitalistic man, and we need to just get back to the basics man, back to what's real man. Right? Yeah, I'm hip man. I get where your coming from, where your at, where you're going man... Black and white, basic, simple man. I dig it.

Really, I'm not totally opposed to it. But you need to work on letting visitors know where in your site they are. Include page title headings on your pages and add a breadcrumb trail.

When I click on a link I like to know that the page that came up is the page I ordered. For instance, when I click on your "Who We Are" link I want to see THOSE words on the page, and not "We Love Lamp". As a potential client I'm not interested in your personal sex life. I don't care who you love be it Lamp, Post, or Elmer Fudd. I thought I was going to find out "Who we Are" not "Who We Love".

Why did you provide a definition for the word "Fear"? You must have know that it could be confusing to some people. If so, then why did you purposefully put it on your website, and in the heading of all places? Is that what you're trying to do - confuse people?

You have a link that takes me off your site, but you did not tell me that it would take me off your site. What if I didn't want to go off of your site? Are you trying to get rid of your visitors? Why are you helping that other site? Why don't you put the Blog on your site and get the other guy to help drive traffic to your site?

rarepearldesign

OK.
This isn't personal, I'm trying to give you an honest impression of what your website is telling me. Again, this is all contingent on the predication that you are not limiting your services to only a select few. (Sorry, that was for RPD's benefit, he likes big words ;)

Wow guy, I am a 30 year old .net architect with "money in the bank" trying to start a new venture of my own. Been a hard core programmer for a decade looking to do something new and interesting.

I also am educated with a Computer Science degree, sorry for the "big words". Anyways, not sure where all your great insight comes from, but you are coming off like a complete asshole (yeah, you say its not personal, but it sounds like it). Btw, I wouldn't want your business, and this guy likely doesn't either.

jnjc

I'm with JayT on some of his issues and I think rarepearldesign you are a bit out of line saying he is "coming off like an asshole", you are definitively personalising it.

Most of what JayT says is very valid if you apply his caveat: "Again, this is all contingent on the predication that you are not limiting your services to only a select few."

To me this site does scream, 'youngsters ' which is not necessarily a bad thing and if they are trying to target only that type of market then it works very well, but if you are trying to target a broad market I think it will put some people off...

JayT has also highlighted something else, the site sort of assumes that people know what lamp etc. is, which is far from true. If people visit your site looking for a design company they will not know the industry buzz words, making these terms that prominent will only serve to confuse.

Other than a few portfolio pages there is no real content on this site. You say you use LAMP, but you don't really explain what/why etc.

Also on the 'Fear Us' tag line, again this very much depends on your audience but to me it seems unprofessional and it would put me off.

rarepearldesign

I'm with JayT on some of his issues and I think rarepearldesign you are a bit out of line saying he is "coming off like an asshole", you are definitively personalising it.

Most of what JayT says is very valid if you apply his caveat: "Again, this is all contingent on the predication that you are not limiting your services to only a select few."

To me this site does scream, 'youngsters ' which is not necessarily a bad thing and if they are trying to target only that type of market then it works very well, but if you are trying to target a broad market I think it will put some people off...

JayT has also highlighted something else, the site sort of assumes that people know what lamp etc. is, which is far from true. If people visit your site looking for a design company they will not know the industry buzz words, making these terms that prominent will only serve to confuse.

Other than a few portfolio pages there is no real content on this site. You say you use LAMP, but you don't really explain what/why etc.

Also on the 'Fear Us' tag line, again this very much depends on your audience but to me it seems unprofessional and it would put me off.

Not going to change my opinion of how he provides his feedback, but like I said I can take it.

Sorry, JayT for calling you an asshole. How about throwing up your web design companies url for a good ol' fashioned review from the members, I won't review it, I won't be around likely, don't come to this forum much.