Open sourse content management

StephanieCordray

It really depends on what you need. If you need something just to be able to publish news or new content then you'll want something simple like Joomla... others need more functionality and features so you might want to try Postnuke or several others. Some people want a blogging tool which can be handle by content management systems as well but if that's all they want there are tools just for that, too... like Wordpress

I don't think there is a 'best' tool but what one fits the client's needs at the time. They all have their pros and cons.

frinkky

I've been researching a few recently and one I'm keen to try when I get the chance is MODx. It creates clean valid XHTML pages and external CSS, rather than in-line CSS, making usability/accessibility/SEO much easier than some others.

Out of the box, apparently, it works just fine as a CMS. If you go delving deeper it has a lot more features you can learn along the way. www.modxcms.com

Ideally, of course, I'd love to develop my own, but as is always the way, you gotta find the time ;)