Online Payment - Query server for amount owed

Dante

Need help with online payments please

I did my best to search if this had been asked before and found nothing.

I am building a website for a client and they neglected to inform me that they want the online payment section to automatically fill in the amount owed when an invoice number is submitted. Up until now I had thought they just wanted a Paypal script embedded on a page.

So it would hopefully go like this:
- The first page of the online payment would have an Invoice ID box and a surname box.
- User inputs Invoice ID and surname and clicks submit
- (The website consults the server and returns the amount owed.)
- Meanwhile the user is directed to a page with embedded Paypal script that is autofilled with the amount they need to pay. All they have to do is add their credit card information and submit.

The company has a server that contains all the MYOB details of the jobs done and how much the clients owe so it should be theoretically possible. I have no real idea of how to get the website to contact the server or how to get the server to interact with the website. I'm guessing php but besides that I have no idea. The website is using html and css if that helps.

If anybody can offer any suggestions or direct me somewhere I can learn about this I would appreciate it. Time is somewhat limited so a straightforward solution would be great.

PS.
I suppose as a side note to save a double post, how do I go about styling the output from a form?
By that I mean how do I take the raw data from a form and make the email it sends to the business nice and pretty and easy to understand. The form would be for job requests so there would be name, address, location of job, description of job, comments. It would be nice to place these into a table or something to make it easier on the workers.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited: