Now for my first web layout..

Jamez

I know, Very basic.. Just thought i'd have a go.. <_< what could I do to improve it? Thanks.

f4l30z.jpg

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
The site itself looks more like a print flyer, or a sticker, than a website....

I would adjust the button bar, so they are more easily recognized as buttons?

Work with space, some of your text is cramped, like the small paragraph above "Alert". The button bar text is also not aligned in the middle (unless that is intended)

Think about how a person's eye will travel around the page, right now the first things I see are Charlton Radio, Alert, Playing 24/7. I would work with the flow of the site....maybe take a look at some other templates that address a similar subject matter? Many artists are inspired by anothers work, there is no harm in that, just dont copy! :)

Marcus Cyganiak

Rounded corners are also just starting to go out of fashion now. The modern way now is the straight edge look with one pixel followed with another one pixel line of light color and transparency, almost like an outlined shadow.

You can see this on the current website I am developing here: http://www.buyric.com/

denno020

Rounded corners are also just starting to go out of fashion now. The modern way now is the straight edge look with one pixel followed with another one pixel line of light color and transparency, almost like an outlined shadow.

You can see this on the current website I am developing here: http://www.buyric.com/

I have also just made a bit of a rounded layout for my website, and now reading this post and looking at your example web page, I want to change to the more modern way as you've suggested it. Are you able to explain it in more detail? Or whip together a quick tutorial write up or video so we can see exactly what you mean?

At the moment I can't quite understand what you mean by
with one pixel followed with another one pixel line of light color and transparency, almost like an outlined shadow

Thanks
Denno

ishie

Not bad at all. For your first web layout, it's quite impressive. But it couldn't been better. Putting links in the sidebar or footer would be a good idea for more navigation. The click here link should also be noticeable.

bcee

Not bad at all. For your first web layout, it's quite impressive. But it couldn't been better. Putting links in the sidebar or footer would be a good idea for more navigation. The click here link should also be noticeable.

This is true. I would also suggest making the layout a little larger.

almostsane

looks good for a first try. maybe using subtle gradients would help, like on the Navigation bar. that and centre the text.

also maybe add a 1pixel line between links it should be about the height of the text, not the whole navigation/menu bar.