Not too happy with Google Sites!

gomeazy

Hey Guys,

I am new here and need drastic advice! I am designing a website on my computer and love how it is turning out, so one day I went online and saw that you could purchase a domain name through Google and thought hey I need to buy it here. So long story short, I get done paying and registering through enom on Google and get to the website designer.......

Well needless to say I have tried to work with there website creator and it just doesn't mesh with what I am trying to accomplish. So my question is what company should I switch my domain to so that I can upload my very own custom website so that I am happy?

Thanks,

Gomeazy

chrishirst

Staff member
That depends on your budget for hosting.

Pay peanuts and you'll get monkeys as "technical support"

shovenose

Banned
Hello,
simply find a host that provides sufficient disk space and bandwidth for your needs. Then you can buy hosting and set the nameservers to those of your hosting provider you choose, since you already have the domain through enom it sounds like.

webdev guy

Are you speaking of THIS: http://sites.google.com something like that is only good if you don't need many options for layouts, styles, programming, etc

But NameCheap is a good company. There's many good companies, that is one I'm a user of at the moment.

Pro

So my question is what company should I switch my domain to so that I can upload my very own custom website so that I am happy?

Thanks,

Gomeazy

How did you create your website? Is the website basic .html files? Try to find a web host that has FTP, you can use an FTP program called http://filezilla-project.org/ to upload your .html files.

A shared web hosting provider with cPanel is best. cPanel is the common ground backend control panel for your website, it allows you to create emails, sub-domains, etc. If you decide you do not like your host, you can easily find a new cPanel provider (they are a dime a dozen).

shovenose

Banned
How did you create your website? Is the website basic .html files? Try to find a web host that has FTP, you can use an FTP program called http://filezilla-project.org/ to upload your .html files.

A shared web hosting provider with cPanel is best. cPanel is the common ground backend control panel for your website, it allows you to create emails, sub-domains, etc. If you decide you do not like your host, you can easily find a new cPanel provider (they are a dime a dozen).

cPanel is the best for sure. That's why we use it, sure there are alternatives like Plesk but they are too ugly!

Pro

cPanel is the best for sure. That's why we use it, sure there are alternatives like Plesk but they are too ugly!

There is nothing wrong with Plesk, I've used it a few times. Its just cPanel is commonly used and would be easy for a customer to switch hosting providers if need be. Additionally, its a little more user friendly and comes with implanted tutorials within its control panel for the majority of its features; which is neat for new users.

shovenose

Banned
There is nothing wrong with Plesk, I've used it a few times. Its just cPanel is commonly used and would be easy for a customer to switch hosting providers if need be. Additionally, its a little more user friendly and comes with implanted tutorials within its control panel for the majority of its features; which is neat for new users.

Being user friend is what I meant; Plesk isn't "ugly" per se, I worded that wrong, but cPanel makes sense! And if somebody needs help there are millions of tuts online.
cPanel is also more secure. That is important!

alandapainter

I like siteground, I've been with them a year and no problems. When I did have a technical issue (of my own making) they were quick to respond.