Noscript Tags and Google Penalty

undoIT

I have been using the noscript tag to provide a warning to users who have JavaScript disabled or who use script blocking plugins like Noscript on one of the websites I run.

After the latest Google shuffle, I have seen the daily traffic drop to about 1/3 of what it was in the previous months. I have also seen a lot of pages that were ranking #1 or #2 in the SERPS drop out of the results. After doing some investigating in webmaster tools, I noticed that "JavaScript" is listed as #16 in the keywords list. This doesn't make sense because the site has nothing to do with JavaScript and the only place that appears is in the text between the noscript tags.

So, it seems that Google is now including and indexing the content between the noscript tags. I don't believe that this was happening before. The warning I used is three sentences. I'd imagine that having the same three sentences appearing at the top of every single page on the site could have a damaging effect on the SEO.

In light of this, is there any other method to provide a warning to users that they have JavaScript disabled in a way that won't be indexed or read by search engines?

Last edited:

Janice07

The thing I hate about Google is the Google Penalty, those poor sites have
to come back to where they had started because of the penalization,
Google should give some consideration to these sites