Noob-Technical question

Hue-jass

I've searched the forum but I found no familiar thread, so I think it's OK to post this thread.

It's about attenuation of signal in optical fibre transmission.A book told me you have to install certain kind of amplifier when the physical distance between two ports are too long, things like that.

My question is, what causes such attenuation? How could that happen. I mean, electronic signal can causes heat during transmission, but I cant figure out a possible way how optical signal been attenuated.

Correct me if you find any error on technical-Jargon in my text.

Hue-jass

I'm sorry I just found this is a software form, so Admin, plz feel free to delet(sems I cant do it myself) this thread. But still, anyhelp will be appreciated.

BaldEagle

I am not knowledgeable in fiber optics but I would assume some of the same thnings that causes signal attentuation in a classic waveguide will also apply here since the medium is nothing more than a waveguide anyway. Absorption caused from impurities, and anytime the medium is not in a straight line you will get losses due called appropriately bending losses. That is about all I can tell you and I can't prove any of it.

BaldEagle