Newbie web designer's questions about template usage

ftanired

Hello expert web designers :)

I have some questions regarding using templates for your clients. I'd consider myself a newbie web designer; well, perhaps not absolutely newbie, because I've made websites for at least 10 clients in the past.
I haven't done this in a while, and recently I got a new client who wants a simple website to showcase her artwork, and since I am busy with a bunch of other things, I think I'll just purchase a template and customise it.

But I was just wondering about how you people deal with templates. For example:

1. How do you decide whether to use or not to use templates? Do you use templates for the more general, no-fuss clients, whose budget is perhaps less than $1000?

2. Obviously you would buy templates that you know your clients would like, which means that before purchasing, ideally you'd show them some selections, and let them choose. My question is: how do you show them these templates?

In other words, do you give them links to, say, 5 to 10 different templates on, say, ThemeForest.net, and let them choose one? Or how do you go about doing it?

3. What if a client asks you "how come you use a template?", how do you respond to that?

4. If you charged them, say $500, to create the site, do you include the template price within the $500, or do you add the template cost on top of the $500?

Thanks!

LandisCreations

In my last job, we used templates heavily, and I see no reason not to as long as you're up front with your clients about it. That said, what we generally did was use the template as a starting point and heavily customize it.

Most clients don't like the sound of "using a template" but if you can show them that a) you'll modify it significantly and b) it will save them money because you don't need to do a completely custom design from scratch and therefore can do the job cheaper than you would otherwise, they generally come around.

So, to answer you questions point by point:

1. How do you decide whether to use or not to use templates? Do you use templates for the more general, no-fuss clients, whose budget is perhaps less than $1000?

It really depends on the client. If they really want a completely custom design and you feel up to it go for it. Some web designers and some clients have some moral objection to using templates, but when it comes down to it: if it works for your business model and the client is ok with it then go for it.

2. Obviously you would buy templates that you know your clients would like, which means that before purchasing, ideally you'd show them some selections, and let them choose. My question is: how do you show them these templates?

What I would generally do is get an idea for what the client is looking for, find 3-4 templates, and get good screenshots. Then, take each template and customize it a bit for the client. Throw their logo onto it. Swap some generic images out for something relevant to them. Doesn't need to be perfect, just give them an idea of what the final product would be.

3. What if a client asks you "how come you use a template?", how do you respond to that?

It saves you time, therefore it saves them money and lets you concentrate on the functionality of the site. This usually gets the job done.

4. If you charged them, say $500, to create the site, do you include the template price within the $500, or do you add the template cost on top of the $500?

In my experience, people generally don't like to see a bunch of little prices start adding up. If you plan to generally use a template, price accordingly so that it's included. Another option is to give two prices: one for starting with a template another, higher price for doing a custom design.

Think that mostly covers the questions. Hope this helps! :)

~Nathan

v2Media

My position is more or less the same as landis. Most web studios reuse assets in some way. It's the smart approach to speeding up production time. Swapping a logo and twiddling a few colours on a template is going a too far though. In some circumstances, client's are OK with the idea of a customised template, especially when the budget is the primary issue. Some client's despise the idea - you have to broach the topic and gauge the response.

When pitching to clients on a fixed budget there's usually a compromise on content/features to accommodate custom design. I use the template idea to reduce the design cost so all/most of the desired content/features can be included.

As far as the template selection process is concerned, use cropped screenshots. Pricing? Use the same price as you would for a custom design, but include extra functionality/content that will bring up the difference. Basic SEO or example, or an image slide-show...

LouTheDesigner

I've been going the template route for my past 4 clients, and it's been very rewarding.

I just took $150, went to themeforest, and downloaded 5 templates for the first client. I let them choose one. As for the other ones that I downloaded, it wasn't wasted money at all. They were great looking templates and I used them for 3 more clients.

If you choose really nice templates, the client usually won't ask for many changes. Just slight ones, and as long as you know a small amount of CSS, you'll be fine updating them.

Added bonus: If you run into some sort of trouble and you're feeling overworked, you can just e-mail the creator of the template and say "Hey, how do I change this?" or "Hey, your contact form isn't working." They respond rather quickly b/c they want good ratings.

- Lou

v2Media

Hmm, Lou, this is where using templates becomes a potential trouble source. Are your clients aware that there may be other websites, possibly in the same or related industry, with the exact same template? Furthermore, other websites using the same template may crop up in the future...

While working for other companies that incorporate templates without full disclosure to the client, I've seen clients go hostile after discovering identical websites.