Newbie- PLease review my business website

steve_h75

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum so please be gentle :) I must say this looks to be a very good forum!!....lots to read!

Ok my website is for a central heating business, it has been redesigned from its original form, and I think its not too bad for the target audience, but anyway thats not for me to say as I designed it!...

So please could you all have a look and give me some feedback to make it better or what you like about it:

http://www.tgservices-southern.co.uk

Thanks
Steve

It's an okay site. For me it is too simple. It looks to me as if its just a black background with a bright blue header and body. Another thing that I think the site is missing is some light color, such as a white as an accent. Overall its not bad and good luck to you.

steve_h75

Thanks for taking a look and giving your views. Yeah I guess your right it is pretty basic in terms of features, but like I said I did try and keep it basic for a reason, although I think it could maybe do with some spicing up somewhere, any opinions to what could be added?
Lastly true it could do with some lighter colours to break up the dark colours, thanks i'll give it some thought.

Anyway thanks again for your comments, much appreciated, any more opinions from anyone?

fairdoes

The site looks fine for the visitors it's aimed at. They want pipes fixed, that's all!

If you really want to find customers in your area, put your location in the title tag - the competition in the 023 district will be considerably less than world-wide!:).

I checked your backlinks (MSN=2, Yagoo=4) and you need some more, LOTS!:D

steve_h75

hi fairdoes, thanks for the comments much appreciated.

Thanks, yeah I tryed to keep it simple for my target audience, it may be too simple for some people I guess, but I can always build upon it.

backlinks :) yeah I need a good few more of them, to be fair my site went live in September '05, so i'm still trying to establish some good links and having troubles with google giving me links (although I know I have some good one's already done- that haven't been seen by google yet?). Also to make matters a bit worse, I redesigned my website and changed some page names so there are some broken links on the search engines, such as on yahoo there are pages which look like About Us.html, but i've now changed them to about.html, so I am still waiting for the search engines to update to my newer website, any ideas on guessing how long this will take?

Anyway thanks for the comments!

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I am not a fan of dark sites, I think lighter colors would look better.
Also on IE, there is a white margin on all sides which makes the site not look quite right.
Also the choice of domain name? Is there something shorter available? Perhaps without a hyphen?

steve_h75

Thanks for your opinion Ian, much appreciated. Good point about the dark colours, I guess it is against the norm to do this but I was trying to create a warm environment, I probbaly wouldn't create another site using dark colours though.

The reason you see white around the page is because the site is made using tables and the main layout table is centered and is slightly smaller than the browser window, hence the white. Your right looking at it again it does look kinda funny, think I'll have to change that. Lastly unfortunatly that was the only domain name worth having, as tgservices.co.uk was already taken and I couldn't think of anything else that made sense :)