Newbie needs help!

KostaThodis

Hi!

I just started with photoshop and dreamweaver and I tried using photoshop and slicing the images and then open them in dreamweaver because it seemed like a easy way and it pretty much was until I wanted to start adding content to my site... The problem is that everything is images on my website so I can't add any text, suggestions?

ps. this is only for my own usage and practice!

below you can see the image of the site as it is now, I know it looks bad but its my first site EVER, so please be kind :) so i want to add text in the white area....

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/sportshop.png/

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
:) almost too easy perhaps?

Psd to html is a very bad habit to get into, and thus many issues with that.

you ideally should learn css and style your page with that.

A quick fix if you cant be bothered is to delete the image which is just white space and start typing...

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although the whole site as it stands would be
HTML:
<body>
<div id=“wrapper“>
<h1>MAX LIFE</h1>
<ul>
<li><a href=“#“>HEM</a></li>
<li><a href=“#“>SPORT</a></li>
<li><a href=“#“>AVENTYR</a></li>
<li><a href=“#“>KONTAKT</a></li>
</ul>
<div id=“content“>
TYPE NEW CONTENT HERE
</div>
</div>
</body>

Websynergi

Try taking the images that have been sliced up and lay it out with CSS, that's more how a web designer would do it. Most of us started off trying to build a website in PhotoShop, it just doesn't work though.

Walter Warner

Actually I must say that PSD to HTML is not that bad of a habit, if you know the basics of HTML and PSD. I don't know about you Phreaddee but I started out as a graphic designer and slowly transitioned into a web designer.

Anyways I would the PSD file as a drawing reference, and from there I would code accordingly, making sure that there is a certain structure that makes sense.

anna

Actually I must say that PSD to HTML is not that bad of a habit, if you know the basics of HTML and PSD. I don't know about you Phreaddee but I started out as a graphic designer and slowly transitioned into a web designer.

Anyways I would the PSD file as a drawing reference, and from there I would code accordingly, making sure that there is a certain structure that makes sense.

I kindly disagree. PSD to HTML IS a bad habit, and defeats the whole purpose of CSS. I started out as a graphic designer, as well, and transitioned into web design, however, I quickly found PS was NOT the way to transition smoothly.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
How can ap divs or a table, useless inline css and images where they are not needed, because it was easier to draw a few slices and save for web > images + html not be a terribly bad habit????

Making a psd comp and using it as a guide is not the same as psd > html and if that floats your boat do it, although imho i think its a total waste of time...

CaldwellYSR

Making a psd comp and using it as a guide is not the same as psd > html and if that floats your boat do it, although imho i think its a total waste of time...

Personally, I use Gimp to make a rough sketch of my design. I do that to figure out the numbers like you said with pencil and paper. Also you can pull out background textures and stuff like that which can't really be done with CSS. The typical PSD to HTML is not a good idea.